~Ch.19: Close to Success~

A few days before the princesses were supposed to hatch, Queen Coral entered the hatchery to say hello to Silverstripe and Turquoise.

Greetings, Hatchery Guards, Queen Coral flashed to them.

Greetings, your majesty, Turquoise flashed as he and Silverstripe bowed.

How are my eggs? Queen Coral flashed, examining the room once Silverstripe and Turquoise had risen back to their talons.

They are doing well, Turquoise flashed. Two of the princes just hatched. We named them Sanderling and Ray.

Queen Coral nodded. Where are the female eggs?

Over here, Turquoise flashed, swimming over to the clutch eggs.
Queen Coral picked one up, examining its smooth, ocean blue surface before picking up the next and examining it as well.

They're close to hatching, Queen Coral flashed, setting down the eggs.

Turquoise nodded. We estimate that they're only a few days from hatching.
Indeed, Queen Coral flashed. She then turned to face them directly. Listen: You must be on higher alert now that they're close to hatching. No more eating breaks. Sleeping is minimal. My daughters must hatch so the kingdom can have heirs.

Silverstripe and Turquoise nodded.

You two are very close to succeeding. Gill may have been right to trust you two. But mark my words: if these eggs die, then I will have no choice but to tell Gill that he was wrong, and we will need new guards, the queen flashed, her lip rising just enough for them to see her teeth.

Silverstripe and Turquoise nodded, eying the queen with anxiety.
I must go make more preparations for my to-hatch daughters, Queen Coral flashed. Do not prove my husband wrong. Farewell, Abyss, Turquoise.

After the queen swam out of the hatchery, Turquoise flashed to Silverstripe, How are you going to go to your next report, Silverstripe?

"I don't know," Silverstripe mouthed.
You trained in stealth, right? Turquoise asked.

Silverstripe nodded.
Maybe I can watch the nest while you sneak away? Turquoise flashed.
Silverstripe nodded in agreement.

Okay, Turquoise flashed. It's in two days, correct?

Silverstripe nodded.

Okay. Sounds like a plan, Turquoise flashed.

Silverstripe nodded.

- - - ~ 🌊~ - - -

The next day, Silverstripe and Turquoise were greeted by a pleasant surprise: Emerald.

Hey, Abyss, Turquoise! the green dragonet flashed.

Hi, Emerald! Turquoise flashed as Silverstripe hugged Emerald.

How have you guys been? Emerald flashed, sitting down next to the Orca Statue.

Good, Turquoise flashed. The princesses are supposed to hatch tomorrow, and we should be able to relax a little after that.

That's good, Emerald flashed.

How about you? Turquoise asked.

I've been good, Emerald flashed. Mistress Seasnake is talking about getting me a new roomate.

That's nice, Turquoise flashed for Silverstripe.

Eh. I don't know how I feel about it, Emerald flashed. He or she will never be the same as back when I lived with Abyss.