Josiah's confusion

After school I went home and remembered how hungry I was.

I have my own cabinet of food, but it's only foods for when I have emergencys and have to eat something or I'll die. I took all the rest of Jacksons food which was 2 bagels left in the packet he had, but at least it was something.

This wasn't going to last me at all!

I needed to get a job and quick. But what was I good at? There aren't many walking distance jobs. Especially jobs in Dropper but I'm sure I could find something at the Dropper Dollar. A supermarket where everything is a dollar.

I put my backpack down and played with Egypt until she got bored of me and walked away. Then I decided to bring action to my situation.

I started walking up the dirt road when I saw Vinny and Tyler pulling up. They stopped next to me weirdly looking at me.

"Are you getting the mail or something?" Vinny asked.

"No, Im going to the Dropper Dollar to look for a job." I told them.

"You're 15." Vinny said bluntly.

"Uncle Vinny, just let the twig go. We need to cut up that wood before Israel gets back." Tyler suggested.

"Alright son. See ya later Princess." Vinny told me.

"Bye." I said rolling eyes and purposely kicking Tylers motorcycle wheel which made him grunt quietly to himself.

I walked up to Dropper Dollar and saw Mrs.Granger helping a customer.
After the customer I walked up to her and she looked slightly stressed.

"Hello Victoria!" She said smiling at me.

"Hey there Mrs.Granger. I was wondering if I could ask you a question."

"Of course dear, but I need to go put in some more water bottles on isle 10." She said and I followed her to the back of the building holding all the supplies.

The store was small with only 10 Isles but the back area was pretty large to me.

"Here let me carry that." I told Mrs.Granger grabbing the water bottles with all my strength.

"Thank you dear, my back isn't what it used to be." She laughed.

We both walked to Isle 10 and I put the water bottle container on the shelf.

"Now we need four more." Mrs.Granger sighed.

"Mrs.Granger?" I asked about to start my question.

"Oh yes, sorry Victoria. What was it you wanted to ask me?"

"Could you hire me to work for you?" I asked seeing her face look more intrigued. "I can stalk shelves, I know how to count money and change, I am an amazing cleaner and with the step latter I saw back there I could probably reach the top shelf in here!" I suggested.

"Give me a reason." She ordered. Obviously I already gave her a purpose but she needs a REASON as well? Well, I guess I could just tell her the truth...

"My dad wants me to start paying for everything myself."

"I would love to hire you sweetie but I can't have you working a full day and Im not going to be the reason for you getting a lack of sleep so you might want to get a second job to even earn enough money for anything. I would only have you work 4 hours and not even everyday. You would get 7 dollars an hour, on good days, because even I don't earn enough. I can barely sustain myself." She told me and I nodded for her to continue.

"I would have you work 4 days a week, 7 dollars an hour, 4 hours a day. Sweetheart you would make what like 112 dollars a week? Thats not enough for insurance, food, clothes, etc." She told me.