Chapter 4

Luke felt unsure of himself. He had no idea where he was heading but knew a deep need to walk off his anger. His feet first took him to the front reception chamber where he saw that gifts arriving were still being opened and recorded by scribes.

Of course, they don't know yet... should I halt this procedure? —he wondered —if the betrothal is off, all these gifts will need to be returned. I can't abide the thought of Haroun with Jobyna —my sister. Pivoting on his heel to bowing guests and attendants, he pondered as to what he could do to prevent the duel being fought. Frencolia or Reideaux, it makes no difference; they'll be fighting until they draw blood... over my sister!

His feet sprang up the main staircase and he found himself moving toward his Aunt Minette's quarters. This was where Jobyna would be, having been ordered by Doctor Frank to rest until the ceremony.

Half-way along the corridor, Luke slowed his step. He turned and gazed, unseeing, over the arched clerestory-like wall, leaning against a pillar, again deliberating over what he should, or could, do. Dear God, he prayed, You're our Heavenly Father. I believe you care about us. You must be concerned when any two creatures You created, fight, clawing or pecking one another until they draw blood? Why, oh why, God, with all the intelligence You give us humans, do we thirst for blood? He said, aloud, "Why is this happening? Everything was going along peacefully before Haroun interrupted."

Following the moat wall around the castle, his eye-gaze bypassed the many guards on duty. Part of Frencberg Square was visible. Crowds of people amassed already, having come early to gain good positions to view the royal procession when it passed. Only when the kingdoms' leaders had met in conference regarding their security had there been so many royal dignitaries in Frencolia. The procession today was a proclamation of unprecedented unity and peace. Will I have to cancel the procession? —he wondered. Is peace only to be achieved now by Konrad and Haroun drawing swords on each other?

Movement at the gate caught Luke's eye. A burly soldier punched a woman in the face, then, with both hands on her shoulders shoved her to fall backwards. From this height and distance, Luke couldn't discern whether the woman was old or young. She seemed small and frail compared to the uniformed man. The soldier returned to his post at the gate. Picking herself up slowly, the woman moved closer before kneeling with her hands clenched together, raising them as though begging. The soldier summoned another and the pair dragged her across the road from the gate before taking up their posts again. Limping, the woman moved further around the moat. Still in sight of the castle, she knelt, her hands linked together in front of her, as in prayer.

Is prayer illegal here? What is going on?

Sabin interrupted Luke's disturbed thoughts, "Master, King, Luke; I was told you came up here. I've set your clothes ready, Sire; it's time to dress for the betrothal..." The servant saw Luke's disconcert and asked, "Something is wrong, Sire?"

"Yes, Sabin." Luke's eyes moved back to the lonely figure kneeling and he wondered what he could do to help her. He prayed inwardly. A long silence followed.

Sabin dared break the quiet, "I feel, Sire, I should quote, for you." He waited, and when the young king did not reply he said, "Sire, 'There is safety in many counselors'." 

Slowly, Luke turned. Sabin had always been there. He had wisdom to share. "I have a dilemma, Sabin. I do need counsel. What do you know of Kingdom Law? Where might I find a copy of it?"

"I don't know much about Kingdom Law but I'll tell you what I do know. It's not a written law so I assume there are no scrolls with it on. Those in line to the throne are taught Kingdom Law; it's handed down from father to son; king to prince. I don't know the laws within it but that it applies specifically to and for royalty. It's like —nonpublic protocol —not for subjects. Royalty is like, like a higher kind of group made up of those kingdoms in an area. A society of its own. Kingdom Law is their creed as it were, their rules to protect royal continuance or such. Your father would have been taught it. And, yes, I do think the Senior Knights in Frencolia know it's concepts, the wording of it, what it is..." He waited, and as Luke was silent, he continued, "I do know, Sire, that if one king breaks Kingdom Law, then it means great trouble, even war."