Chapter 8

The brown waters of the moat looked more appetizing to Corissa than earlier in the day. Green algae grew in abundance along the walls and various unidentifiable debris floated, washing back and forth, but to the dehydrated girl it looked thirst-quenching and she craved it. 

I'm not sure if I could climb down there... she wondered, then remembered the well in the square —but that would mean leaving her vigil here. Please, God, I don't know if I can last much longer. So far, God, you're answering my prayer. The king of Frencolia is late coming out on the procession... and that's an answer... but if he does come riding out across the bridge here, I swear I'll throw myself down in front of his horse! I will! —I must!

A herald, dressed in the green and gold of the castle guards, strode out across the moat-bridge. Flanked by knights on horses, he paused in the middle of the road and began his announcement.

Corissa crept closer. The betrothal was cancelled! While a great moan rose from the crowds, she sighed and smiled with great relief. 

Applause and cheers followed the news of the horse race, with so many royals involved. Then came the announcement that the royal procession would still take place, two hours before sunset. 

Like a dark cloud hiding the sun, Corissa's smile turned grim. She licked her parched lips and gingerly felt the bruise on her temple. It must be well past noon. The betrothal had been set for one hour before midday; somehow, God had stopped it; but the procession would still happen!

The sun's behind clouds, phew —I'm so glad of that! she thought —If I pray again, God can still stop the procession or somehow the king of Frencolia will be warned. Corissa watched as the guards were changed with men who had marched from the back of the castle and around the moat on the other side. Perhaps if she approached, these men would listen to her and believe her. Was it worth another attempt? Perhaps it is... she decided, but I'll pray first and ask that God will deal with their hearts and make them listen and believe...

Moving around the moat to where she had prayed undisturbed, Corissa knelt, leaning on the low wall dividing the road from the water. Further along, were small stone houses and Corissa saw an old lady staring out at her as before. She thinks I'm mad. I was once, but not now... perhaps I will be again when this is over... if it weren't that I believe in You, God, that You are real, then I would be empty, lost. Please God, I believe in You, that You are here, that You hear my prayer. Please, God, you must cancel the procession, or I must get a message to the king that his life is in danger... at least, dear God, please send someone who will listen!

She shook her head, feeling that her prayers had fallen on deaf ears. What else could she do? What more could she offer? She wondered, praying, Perhaps I need to sacrifice something to You, God, then You'll hear me. I give my life to You, God. Whatever you want of me, I will do. I will no longer be my own, but Yours ... Corissa looked around. Her gaze fell upon the guards at the gate before moving to the waiting throng. This country, Frencolia, is Yours, Lord. And I am Yours. I love Bavarest, but for You, Lord, I will live wherever you wish. Her eyes fell upon a young peasant-man and she prayed, if that man asks me to marry him and live here in Frencolia, I will agree, Lord, only save the king's life and don't let my brother murder anyone... even if it means my life or Gregori's. Please God ... I give you my life. If you stop my brother's murderous plans, then I'll marry the first man who proposes to me on Frencolian soil. Then I promise I'll teach my children to serve You.

To Corissa, this was a tremendous sacrifice. Her life and heart were in Bavarest but now she was severing her hopes of returning. Closing her eyes, she prayed aloud, "God, please, please hear my prayer, please, please, God..."