Chapter 11

King Luke Chatelain arrived in the courtyard to see the donkey, still attached to the wagon, bucking, kicking, and foaming at the mouth. Knights, soldiers and horses scattered, seeking to avoid the perilously rocking wagon and the animal's hooves.

Ruskin and Iven arrived with more guards and attempted to take the frenzied creature in hand. One guard sprawled backwards to the pavement from a kick to his chest; another was knocked sideways by the creature's head. No one could get close enough to grab the reins. After a few more useless attempts, Iven managed to grasp the bridle, and one of his captains leapt on the back of the creature; but while Ivan was lifted off his feet, the other man was bucked off the donkey's back. Thrown to the pavement, Ivan was rendered unconscious as a hoof dashed down on the side of his head. At Prince Dorai's shout, everyone moved away, watching and waiting.

As soon as the frenzied animal reeled away from the injured knight, Ellice, who had followed Ruskin and the soldiers, ran to Iven's aid. Blood poured from the gash in his head. Heedless of the danger, Ellice tore a piece from her underskirt and wrapped it firmly around his head, pressing on it firmly. Sabin, his hands held out as if to stop further harm, stood between the donkey and Ellice. Two knights led by Prince Dorai lifted Iven out of harm's way, while others pulled Ellice and Sabin away as the animal pivoted and lunged back to this very spot.

Its energy spent, the donkey staggered, tottering, still attempting to kick and buck. Then, it stood still, its four trembling legs buckling in different directions. Keeling over sideways, the donkey dragged the wrecked wagon with it. Panting briefly, the animal's eyes rolled backwards; then it was still.

"Who said to do that?" Luke demanded, feeling ill. He hated to see any creature suffer.

"I did," Prince Dorai answered grimly. Choosing not to spare his tender-hearted nephew, he added, "That's how you would have died, except perhaps slower." He looked around the courtyard. "Thank goodness the women-folk have gone." His eyes met with Ellice's. Shaking his head, he commanded, "You, Sabin! Send for a doctor!"

"Come, Luke, they'll be waiting for you."

"Where's Speed?" Luke asked.

"Take mine," the prince ordered, "I'll ride one of those tethered over at the rail."

Frowning, Ruskin stepped closer to view the horses, hoping to see his king's white horse, then, hearing the fast clatter of hooves, turned. A white horse galloped from the direction of the stables.

"It's Speed!" Luke exclaimed in shock. He shouted, "Halt! Speed! —Stop him!" Loran and Granville rushed to grasp Luke, an arm each, pulling him backwards out of the path of the uncontrolled animal.

The strangest figure sat in the saddle. Wearing the armor of a knight, a familiar purple cape billowed out over the back of the white horse, which wore an unusual saddle, one that would be used in jousting as it had high front and back pommels. The rider had no helmet and, to all appearances, it had no head. The body ended at the neck! Knights and guards froze, unable to move as the animal and its ghostly passenger rode by.

Ellice uttered a stricken cry and buried her head in Sabin's protective embrace.

"Stop my horse! Stop that rider!" Luke shouted, shaking himself free, running behind his horse. "Shoot him! Don't hit my horse!" No man moved; it was as though they all turned to stone.

"Stop him!" Luke repeated, "He must not follow the procession!" Leaping upon his uncle's horse, he reined him around, calling, "Get to the stables, Ruskin —Sabin! —Find out who allowed my horse to be taken by that idiot!" He followed the headless rider. Speed was now across the moat. People realized who the rider depicted and in both awe and horror they shouted his name.