Chapter 21

A group of three men hovered in the corner, and Jobyna stood, sipping from her mug, watching them. One man, his back to her was tall like Tod, his dark hair well-trimmed. Her heart beat faster. Did she have the courage to speak to him, for him to know who she was, that she was here?

Placing the mug on the table, Jobyna stepped closer and closer.

"Excuse me. Tod," she said softly, standing about three feet behind the man. It won't be him; it won't be him; it'll be someone like him, but someone else. The man turned and the candle-light revealed his facial features. It was Tod.

Taking a step closer, Jobyna lifted her shawl back from her head, allowing the candle-light to reveal her face and hair. "I'd like to speak with you, Thorbautod," she said softly. Not a flicker of surprise crossed Tod's face —it was as though he expected to see her here.

Turning to the two men, he excused himself, saying, "That other matter of the other six, take care of it... tell them to go there now."

He bowed slightly to Jobyna before pulling himself back upright. Indicating the door-less archway, he ordered, "Wait outside; I'll come right away."

Jobyna obeyed Tod's directive and stepped out into the evening air. Ellice followed, but not before she saw Tod enact frantic hand-signals to two more men.

Walking on around the corner of the barn, Jobyna turned to wait; but Tod was there, right behind her. His eyes darted around the area, taking in the many people who had brought finger food with them to eat outside into the cooler air.

"Come; we'll go to my house. I do need to speak with you. Follow me..." he left the words hanging as he turned and his eyes fixed upon Ellice and Corissa, "You two wait here." His eyes darted around in the deepening darkness.

"No," Jobyna countered, "Lady Ellice and Lady Corissa are with me. We will talk right here."

"Please y'self," Tod said glibly, "but we're not talking here. It's too tacky... we're too conspicuous."

Fear fluttered through Jobyna as she saw two men lingering by the barn, joined by several more. I'm likely deeper than I can manage, she thought, and I only have Corissa and Ellice... I need Felix and his other men... Luke needs to know about this... I won't go to Tod's house on my own... but, if anyone knows about Jane and John... and Mother and Father, it will be Tod... She hovered between fleeing from Tod and staying to talk with him. She had no peace about any of it.

Turning to the two ladies, she said, "Perhaps, we should go... home," Jobyna said, hating that Tod stood between them. They both nodded. Corissa took her hand.

Tod shrugged. Thrusting his hands deep into his pockets, he said in his most patronizing tone, "Look, I don't want you to feel afraid. You shouldn't be here on your own with just y'ladies, should you? I'll walk with you to the manor house, and talk there if you like. I've got nothing to hide from you, Princess Jobyna."

Jobyna shivered, feeling threatened and uncertain. Would they get to her home and would Tod talk with her when they got there?

Turning, he nodded to them, saying, softly, "Walk with your mistress back to her house; and I'll follow from a distance."

Ellice stepped to Jobyna's other side. Tod moved aside to allow them passage to the narrow lane leading back into the village.

Jobyna walked quickly, wondering if Tod would try to capture her. What could he gain from that? Who in Frencolia would want her, even for a ransom? Was not the sister of the king safe in the home village of her own kingdom? She glanced over her shoulder.