Chapter 20

Unfamiliar, haunting strains of well-known words from the Psalms greeted the princess and her ladies when Chrissy led the way into the wool-barn. Attached to a humble clay-floored dwelling, the barn's oily wool odors mingled with mouth-watering aromas of newly-cooked pastries and fresh-made bread. 

An old man seated by the door, leapt to his feet, peering first at Chrissy, then at Ellice, Corissa, and Jobyna, blocking their way at first. 

Chrissy was nervous beyond her control; she trembled like a field-mouse facing a harvester's scythe. "I ... I have three friends, today, Brother James ... they're new at the m-manor. J-Jo... and... Corrie... and Ellice." 

She offered the large tray stacked with their food contribution to the man and he took it from her. Pointing to a space between two large sack-covered rolls of wool, Chrissy led the way. The four, copying everyone else in the room, knelt on the flax mats. The windowless barn was dimly lit by a few candles placed in positions that would not endanger the safety of the remaining valuable Chanoine wool. Jobyna's eyes began to adjust to the gloom.

Prayers of thanksgiving and praise were offered; psalms and hymns were sung; a haunting sorrow lingered in the minor strains. Jobyna peered around to see from whom the deep harmonies rose. Some sixty to seventy folks were assembled now, several men having joined the group, some perched upon the wool-bales. Two women rose and left. 

It thrilled Jobyna's heart to hear earnest praise and worship. This must have been how the disciples met in the book of Acts. I wonder if there are other groups like this, meeting in Frencolia? She decided she would question Chrissy later. A unison chant of Scripture broke into her musing. There were more prayers and more singing.

Darkness deepened, and the candle-light seemed much stronger. Jobyna knew the sun had set. A man named Daniel led a responsive reading, standing close to a large candle. Jobyna realized that this man, Chrissy's brother-in-law, was the unofficial but recognized leader of the group. After a long silence, Daniel announced that the women were now permitted to pray —and Jobyna discovered one of the spine-chilling reasons for Chrissy's fright at her presence with them.

"Hannah prayed to God and he heard her prayers; God answered; may it please our God to hear and answer the prayers of our sisters, this day." Daniel sat down and buried his face in his hands.

"Please, God; Heavenly Father. Bless my little Matthew and Charles ... and John; and please take care of Sharon." The woman's soft voice broke; she composed herself, then continued, "Please, God, let their masters have compassion; don't let them hurt my children; and dear God, I know we pray for the impossible; but, please dear God, if you can ...please bring our children back to us..." Her voice broke again and the woman sobbed. Her prayer was now inaudible, and soon she could not continue.

Jobyna's eyes met Chrissy's tear-filled ones. Before Jobyna could gather the questions in her shocked mind, another woman prayed.

"Oh Great God of Heaven, we pray in the Name of Your Merciful Son, Jesus. You can do the impossible but we humbly pray for Your will to be done. You did not spare Your Only Son but offered Him up for us all. If like Abraham of old, You require me to give up my sons, never to see them again, then God, I only ask that You keep true to You, that they be good Christian boys, like Daniel of old and good examples for Frencolia ...but God, if you spare them, like you spared Isaac, then, God, please spare my boys. How I long for my sons, dear God! Oh, my precious little Leon... and Jeremiah..." The woman muffled the sound of her weeping.

Jobyna, feeling both stunned and indignant, frowned at Chrissy and whispered in her ear, asking, "These children... have they been taken out of Frencolia? When? —Where? —Are they slaves?" Chrissy didn't answer. Bowing her head, she covered her face with her hands. Jobyna rearranged her position and sat instead of kneeling. Ellice followed the action.