Chapter 14

Luke summoned the four men to meet in his throne room.

"I want the truth!" Luke said, "I command you! —Tell me the truth!"

"Sire, we swear; he was fixed up like you said, but he strangled himself," their chosen spokesman, whose name was Odel, said.

"You would all place your right hand upon a Bible and vow that before God?" Luke asked.

The four men shuffled, obviously in discomfort.

"I would," Odel said.

"And I."

"Yes, Sire. He hanged himself. He wanted to die."

Luke looked at the fourth, the youngest. The man would not meet his eyes. He seemed undecided, then said firmly, "He wanted to die. He badly wanted to die."

"Everyone knew that! The question is, if I place a Bible in front of you, would you vow that Lord Gregori of Bavarest, shackled in such a way as not to be able to harm himself, managed to hang himself?"

Prince Dorai stepped forward, but Luke held up his hand as a warning for him to be silent.

"I could not be sure," the young soldier replied.

"Were you there?"

"I, I was not in the chamber, Sire, I was at the door."

"Did you see Gregori die?"

The young soldier did not answer but stared at the floor in sullen silence.

"Your Majesty," Dorai began, "I wish to speak with you alone."

A silence ensued. Then Luke commanded, "Clear the throne room. That means everyone save Prince Dorai. You will be summoned back soon so wait in the reception room where silence will be maintained."

~~~~~

"Son, I know you're angry about Gregori's death..."

"Uncle, I'm sad as well as angry that Gregori died without a trial. I'm furious that my command was discounted. It does not appear that your king's word has any merit at all. It enrages me to believe he was murdered. One thing I know for sure is that Gregori did not die without help to do so!"

"How can you be so sure?"

"I can prove it," Luke said with conviction.

Dorai spoke with disparagement, "If you can do that, it would amaze me! Your wisdom would be from another world. Obviously, if the men deliberately disobeyed, they should be disciplined but if Gregori committed suicide..."

"He could not have, Uncle, not without help —the men lied. We'll take all four to the cell where they will show us what happened." Luke said heatedly, "If our Frencolian counsel had decided Gregori should hang; or if a Bavarest one decided that; I'd have agreed. But to end his life without a trial is against all reason, not to speak of what your king commanded. Since when do we allow our Frencolian guards to act as final judges?"

Luke felt sure that Gregori had been murdered. "Always give the benefit of the doubt," he said quietly.

"What's that?" Dorai asked.

"Something my father used to say. Something I find hard to do. I mustn't judge the men before they prove themselves one way or another."

"You quote your father in this?"

"Yes, Uncle. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Yes, but we won't take the time to discuss it right now..."