Chapter 12

A dozen different dangers and as many malevolent motives vibrated in Luke's mind as reports came in from knights who searched for his beloved sister.

That she had gone to the lower level of the castle and taken Lady Corissa with her had not yet been reported by Ruskin who was still trying to sort out the many bits of information about the headless armor, the saddle, the purple cloak and the person or people who had engineered what was now called, 'The ride of Elliad's ghost'.

Although Sir Iven was still unconscious, Doctor Frank assured the king that his injury did not appear life threatening therefore he had a good chance of full recovery. "But one can never tell from a head injury. We'll all feel easier if he wakes soon."

When guards reported that Jobyna had left across the back moat-bridge on Lightning, with Brownlea mounted by a lady and a peasant-girl, following, Luke began to wonder if she'd been frightened by the apparition and had fled, for some reason taking Corissa with her. He felt pleased that Victoria was with her —at least she was not entirely without support. In the likely case that she'd ridden to Chanoine, Luke dispatched a quad to investigate.

Desserts and entertainment in the great banqueting hall progressed and Luke commanded that both Konrad and Haroun remain there; much against the pair's wishes.

Konrad desperately wanted to join the search for his sweetheart but Luke could not discount the possibility that Jobyna and Konrad planned a rendezvous or that somehow Haroun, using Corissa as a lure, had orchestrated a kidnapping of his sister. He even eyed his trusted guests from Strasland with suspicion, due to his uncle's 'conspiracy suggestions'. Just thinking about the drama of this day, Luke's head ached. He couldn't remember suffering a headache like this one ever. If this pain get any worse, I'll summon Doctor Frank; it's driving me crazy, Luke lamented.

Prince Dorai, urged on by his young wife, Minette, had no doubts that Jobyna had been abducted; perhaps even by the one who sent the ruby necklace with the message: "You belong to me... I will send for you."

"One of the most lucrative occupations in these days is that of kidnapping the wealthy for a fantastic ransom," the Crown Prince reminded his nephew. He added, "Our guards let us down, and that riderless horse added to the confusion, Son. We mustn't allow it to happen again."

The hour was late and the entertainers were exhausted; one group of singers with harps had sung and played their whole repertoire, when two from the quad, with the lone messenger, arrived bearing the note from Jobyna. The others had continued to Chanoine to ascertain that the princess was truly safe.

Prince Dorai was relieved and suggested to Luke that Jobyna's location be kept secret. "An extra company must be dispatched to Chanoine, their arrival and presence kept secret. Perhaps Jobyna should remain there until the horse race." It displeased him that Corissa was with her, but he agreed with Luke that the maiden had been courageous to speak out against her own flesh and blood and in so doing had saved five lives that day.

"Who would have looked to a puppet wagon if arrows began to fly?" Dorai asked, shuddering as he thought of his children. "He could have murdered one of our guests. Imagine if the king of Strasland had been assassinated on Frencolian soil? We surely would have a war!"

Luke announced that Princess Jobyna had been found and was safe and unharmed. When Konrad asked to see her, Luke refused, saying, "My sister will be sleeping and will not be seeing anyone tonight."

Discussion returned to the horse race. Prince Louis declared he would return to Strasland at first light; he had to select and train his horses. Both Konrad and Haroun wanted to do likewise, though the latter was a little reluctant about the contest now. Prince Haroun requisitioned to see Corissa but Luke refused him, saying truthfully, "Lady Corissa's with my sister, Princess Jobyna."