Chapter 13

A great exodus was about to take place from Kings Castle.

Prince Louis and his grandparents, the first leave-takers, had partaken of a light breakfast before dawn and as Luke rode into the courtyard, they were assembling their entourage for the farewell. 

Dismounting from his horse, the king of Frencolia expertly took charge. Welcomes and farewells were institutions also at the Manor House in Chanoine and Luke had been brought up to be part of them all.

Luke attended the great hall breakfast but partook only of a goblet of well-water, sipping from it often and constantly. He found he couldn't get Victoria's sweet juice out of his head which seemed much clearer than yesterday.

When his goblet was empty, an attendant refilled it. To his pleasure and surprise, no one seemed to notice his abstinence from food except his bodyguards, who, instead of eating, stood back against the wall. It dawned on him that they had discerned he was fasting and were supporting him and he determined to ask them if this was true.

Discovering comings and goings to be confusing, Luke decided to ignore them until Sabin requested his presence in the courtyard for the next official farewell.

But Sabin had been making preparations for his journey to Chanoine with Ellice, urging the lady to make sure she packed all Jobyna's clothes. Sabin's mind was not on his king but upon the young Lady Ellice. This was the first time in his life that Sabin neglected any duty.

"Sire, Prince Gustovas and his large retinue have assembled in the courtyard," Ruskin hurried to tell Luke.

"Where's Sabin? —Do you know?"

"He left for Chanoine to escort Lady Ellice, Sire."

"Oh, yes, I forgot." I miss Sabin already, Luke thought, wishing he was here now. 

After the Proburg company left, Luke turned to see Haroun and Konrad descending the front steps. He'd not had the opportunity to speak to the Bavarest Prince about Gregori.

"We're taking your leave!" Haroun said sourly.

"We wish to speak with you about Gregori, Haroun. If you could delay a few days; we plan to convene a trial for Gregori. I would like you to be there..."

"You've not heard?" Haroun asked then continued, "Gregori hanged himself last night in your dungeon. They found him dead this morning."

Luke could not believe this news. He bowed his head, feeling not only gutted due to Gregori's death but violated as well because his commands had been disobeyed. Turning back to meet Ruskin's serious stare, he received a grim nod from the knight.

Konrad spoke, "We, Haroun and I, and Louis, we feel we'll need to be here two weeks here before the race. You'll have the course marked out by then?"

Luke found it difficult to switch his mind from considering Gregori's demise, but managed to do this. After a silence, he answered, "Yes, the race. Shall we plan it for six, or eight weeks' time?

"Six, or even less," Haroun said. "Come relentless storms with high waters or hell itself, I plan to be married before winter sets in. My father urges it."

Luke gave the farewell salutes in an automatic mode. His thoughts were of Corissa, the praying maiden —now a bereaved sister; her whole family gone. Haroun had said nothing about her. Luke wondered if his first impressions were wrong; he had thought they'd been close friends, perhaps sweethearts, that Haroun cared about Corissa's opinion of him, that he had been devastated to believe she was dead and overwhelmed to find her alive. I'm wrong. Luke thought, I'm not as perceptive as I'd like to be... He raised his arm, returning Konrad's farewell gesture.

Having waited for the Reideaux company to ride ahead, Prince Haroun reined his horse close to Luke. To the latter's surprise, he dismounted. "Konrad and I thought you should know, and I wanted to be the one to tell you. As soon as we are across the northern border, we're going to have our duel."

"And the race?" Luke asked.

"The loser of the duel will forfeit the right to ride in the race," Haroun said. He moved closer and whispered, "Konrad doesn't know it yet, and this is between you and me alone, but he's going to win the duel. I've changed my mind about your sister; I'll return here after the duel, later today if you please, and explain myself." Bowing, Haroun mounted his horse again and rode off.

Luke, seeking to hide his smile at Haroun's confession, found his mind leaping back to the news that Gregori had died. His countenance fell. Turning to Ruskin, he demanded, "How did it happen? —I gave instructions for Gregori to be shackled in such a manner as not to harm himself. I want to interview the men who put him there. Bring everyone to me who had anything to do with Gregori in the dungeon, Ruskin. Take me to see the lad." At Ruskin's stare and motionless stance, Luke asked, "What then?"

"They took Gregori's body away."

"What? Where?"

"His body will be left out at the place all criminals are taken..."

"Take me there now; I'll fetch a fresh horse," Luke said, striding back toward the stables.

Luke had never seen the dumping place for dead criminals. It was three miles from Frencberg, and he arrived at the same time the cart containing Gregori's body drew alongside the rim of the deep chasm. Luke needed no imagination to guess that scavenger-licked, sun-bleached bones lay in the bottom of the gulch. Leaping from his horse, he was just in time to stop two soldiers from dragging Gregori's frame off the cart. Two others watched. They stood aside when they realized it was the King of Frencolia who confronted them. All four dropped to their knees.

Gregori's face was purpled, and from the marks around his neck, it was obvious he had strangled. Perhaps a chain ... a heavy chain with thick links ... Luke thought as he examined the indents around Gregori's neck. A graze on his forehead and a bruise on his chin took Luke's attention next. Then he noted that Gregori's eyes were closed. Reaching across to the body, Luke place his hand across the forehead and eyes; they were cold. Someone had closed his eyes; someone was there when he died.

"Bring the body back to the castle now," Luke commanded, looking at each of the men, one at a time, seeing each of them drop their eyes and bow their heads. "When you get there, I'll speak with you; all four of you, together." Without another word, he mounted Speed and rode away.

Upon arrival, he said, "I want a coffin, Ruskin. I'm sending Gregori to his sister. She can bury him in Chanoine."

"Sire; he was a criminal." 

"Was his crime any worse than those who ended his life without giving him a fair trial, Ruskin? Do you sanction the murder of someone who is insane?"

"He wasn't insane, Sire; he knew what he was doing, who he was going to murder... how many..." Ruskin fell on one knee. "Forgive me, Sire. I'm much too outspoken."

"No, Ruskin, I won't forgive you." Luke saw Ruskin's face drop and continued, "You will advise me like this whenever you feel the need, but not when others are near. I'm not intimidated by your opinion or counsel. Your words bring me reality to know what others are thinking and I feel calmer about my own decisions. Tell me, then, do you believe that those who disobeyed my orders and denied Gregori a trial should have no reprimand?"

Ruskin grasped Luke's hand and kissed the ring with fervor, saying, "You're a good king, Luke Chatelain. You should deal to them what you feel is due. I have seen and heard for myself, your great wisdom..."

"No, Ruskin. I feel angry! If I acted upon my feelings right now, I'd hang all four. It is wisdom from God Himself that must judge here," Luke said. "It takes wisdom much stronger than my emotions to work through this! I'll ...counsel..." he almost said 'with my bodyguards,' but knew this should not be revealed now of all times, he needed to keep this secret, so he said, "With my uncle. Inform me when the men who were involved in Gregori's death arrive. Leave Gregori's body on the cart but have a coffin befitting a Barvarest lord prepared for him."