Chapter 10

Corissa would have gone to her brother but found herself grasped firmly. With soldiers gripping each arm; she was unable to move. 

She watched Sir Iven and his men, ransacking the wagon. A pot, a pan, puppets; a rug; more puppets flew; two clay plates smashed on the stone floor. Using their spears, the guards dug into the wooden walls. It was obvious the men were incensed; such an innocent wagon from which to kill their king!

"Sire, I can tell you where he hid the arrows..." Corissa spoke to Prince Dorai. The wagon she had worked so hard to restore would be demolished if the men continued.

"Show us!" he replied, pointing the way. He followed the men who pulled her around into the center of the hall.

"Corissa!" Gregori shouted. A stream of abuse followed, with curses for everyone in the hall as well. Gasps of astonishment and dismay resounded to hear such foul language. A blow to the back of his head sent the lad reeling to the floor.

In the silence that followed, Prince Gustovas was heard to say, "My, my; the lad knows some Frenc words I've never heard before —or perhaps it's a new language." Limited laughter followed, but no one wanted to miss out on this sensational saga so silence scored again.

"Gregori has a key, on a chain," Corissa said in her soft voice. She could not look at him.

"Here, Sir. I confiscated it when I searched him." A soldier tendered the chain and key to Iven. "But there are no locks in the wagon, Sir."

"The puppet tower has a panel at the back of it; the middle board is freed with the point of a dagger," Corissa explained. "The key fits into the lock in the compartment behind the board. You'll find the bow and arrows in a box. Gregori was going to shoot them from the puppet tower." Taking the key, the soldier climbed the narrow wooden ladder to the roof-top.

Sir Iven took the long wooden box from the soldier and handed it to Prince Dorai. Setting it down on the table in front of Luke, the crown prince opened the box. It was as Corissa said. However, each arrowhead was enclosed in a small leather bag, tied securely to its shaft.

Corissa found herself shoved closer as she said, "Be careful, Sire. Gregori said they're so poisonous that just a tiny scratch, even a pinprick is fatal."

Prince Dorai snapped the box lid closed. He was about to speak when Luke stood up. The gong sounded.

"We have a procession to attend. Some of our knights will go ahead and check that we have no other nasties awaiting us. The carriages will be ready for our princesses from Proburg. I'm sure our horses are chomping at their bits." Luke looked around at the guests. No one moved. "The procession will proceed for those who wish to go. We cannot disappoint the people; they've waited all day. Guards will be on watch every step of the way." Still no one stood. "There are visitors from all realms who are awaiting a feast out in the square and we will have our desserts and entertainment upon our return. If we linger, perhaps the Reideaux raspberry tarts and the Proburg fruit pastries will go soggy."

Prince Gustovas rose, as did his wife. Together, they led the way from the great hall; their princesses and princes following.

Luke waited until all the foreign guests had left, including the reluctant Prince Haroun and King Konrad; the latter two having to be prompted a little to make their exits. Luke nodded at his aunt who shepherded her four children ahead of her.

Jobyna heard a knight, behind her, whispering. "It will be a hanging for that young assassin and for her, too."

"They'll likely do it tomorrow," another agreed.

A voice from among the men, muttered, "Curse that Book! They should burn them all!"

As if in agreement, another said, "It's those readings. They should be stopped!"