Chapter 9

Prince Haroun craned his neck to view the 'ignoble' girl who had King Luke's undivided attention. He found the whole thing beneath him —to grant a peasant the most prominent position at the royal table!

His eyes moved to the king's sister. One day soon, Jobyna will be by my side. That red in her hair! I hope it doesn't mean we'll have carrot-topped children. I don't like ginger hair... it doesn't seem very royal to me.

His eyes moved back to the maiden who was obviously upset. She seemed to be arguing with the Frencolian King, but Haroun could not hear what she was saying. He watched the Frencolian King gently move back the maiden's hood; and he saw her face revealed, her golden hair, and his heart leapt wildly within his chest. Mindless of everyone and everything other than the 'Praying Maiden', the Crown Prince of Bavarest stood to his feet. His mouth dropped open; he could not believe it was possible. With his eyes on Corissa's face, he moved around his table, around the next, and the next, making his way to her.

"Lady Corissa?" Prince Haroun's voice was strained as he repeated, "Lady Corissa?" He spoke with more certainty as he drew closer. "It cannot be you... we believed... you were... you are... you're dead!"

Corissa's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "Your Highness —Haroun?" She stared blindly about the great hall, standing, shaking her head in shock, saying, "You're here? —I did not know..."

As the prince circumnavigated the main table to reach her, Corissa stood, turning to follow him with her eyes. An attendant pulled her chair back to allow the Prince room to come close to her.

Haroun dropped on one knee before her, grasping her hands. "It is you." Holding her two hands together, he kissed them, his voice breaking as he repeated, "We believed you were dead!"

Snatching her hands away, Corissa struck the prince across one cheek, repeating it with her other hand, pushing him forcefully backwards so he lost his balance and sprawled on the floor. The sound of her slaps resounded in the hall and many guests stood to their feet.

Leaning back in his chair and sipping Proburg kvass from his own flask, Prince Gustovas laughed with great gusto. This, indeed, was real entertainment. He half believed it was an acted drama, but his mind also suggested it wasn't acting, but all too real. "I like an actress who performs with real spirit!" he said loudly, causing those around him to relax and sit again to enjoy the 'performance'.

Wanting to prevent Prince Haroun from being struck again, Luke grasped Corissa's hands.

"Indeed! You did think we were dead! You made sure of that!" Corissa accused as she tried to wrestle her hands away from Luke.

Jobyna stood, placing her arm around Corissa's shoulders, saying kindly, "Perhaps, we should discuss this elsewhere..." The princess turned as though to escort Corissa from the room, but the maiden pulled away.

Her voice pleaded as if she feared her opportunity to speak would be lost forever, "Please, Your Majesty, King Luke Chatelain, don't go on the procession. Your life is at stake —and your sister's —and others." She saw Luke's eyebrows rise in disbelief and her voice grew more plaintive as she said, "I prayed that I could get a message to you, Sire. I wished to beg for my brother's life. He plans to kill you, and he must be stopped!"

"You know this lady?" Luke asked Prince Haroun.

"Yes," the prince replied, seeking to control his hands not to rub his smarting cheeks. His pride was shattered but as his eyes again alighted on Corissa, they softened. "Lady Corissa is from Bavarest, King Luke. I can't believe she's alive! —But I do know she would tell you nothing but the truth. Her brother is named Gregori and he too is believed to be deceased..."