Chapter 20- Preparation

"Not pink. Not a chance," CJ declined, shaking her head at Maria.
"Aw," she pouted, "you'd look so cute though!" She giggled at CJ's exasperated expression, placing the velvet dress back on the rack. As she reached for a frilly blue dress, she was interrupted by an irritated cough. 

"Frills are not my thing!" the gang leader scoffed. Rolling her eyes, Maria moved on, running her fingers across the soft fabric of the clothes. A shrill squeal sounded from her mouth as her lips parted in an overjoyed grin.

"This!" she cried, thrusting something into CJ's unexpecting arms. Taking a moment to look at the dress, she examined the dark black material. Reluctantly, she allowed herself to be pushed into a changing room. Anticipating disappointment, she carefully pulled the tulle over her head, careful not to catch her hair on anything.

Turning back to her reflection, she let out a small gasp in surprise. 
"What do you think?" Maria asked from outside, the smile evident in her voice.
"It's beautiful," CJ sighed in response, hearing the curtain slide back.

Pitch black fabric cascaded down her long legs and ended by her ankles. A tall slit was cut up the side, revealing most of her thigh. A halter neck wrapped around her upper body, leaving the back open to reveal a mixture of scars and tattoos. Silver and black sequins decorated her midriff, leading to a thick satin ribbon that hugged her waist.

Maria entered the cramped area, picking up the loose ends and tying them in a neat bow.
"You're beautiful," she smiled genuinely in the mirror, looking over CJ's shoulder. Turning around, CJ attempted to thank her friend, but her voice came out as barely a whisper at their proximity.

Swallowing slowly, she offered a grateful smile.
"Thanks for coming at such short notice." Maria laughed, her sweet chuckle filled the room. 
"Anytime," she breathed, "I told you it's the least I can do. Plus, my roommates' kicking me out for not paying the rent." At that, they both fell silent once more.

Their breaths mingled in the air between them, neither one of them wishing to make a move.
"CJ!" a booming voice echoed around the store. The women sprung apart at the sound of the men's arrival. They pushed the red sheet back to reveal Leo, Adrian, Paulo, and Iago.

"What do you think, boys?" Maria chirped, stepping aside to reveal an awkward CJ. 
"Damn," Adrian and Iago nodded approvingly.
"I'm guessing Maria chose," Leo chuckled, observing as she attempted to flatten the obnoxious skirt.

"Yeah," she nodded, blood rushing to her cheeks, "I guess the fashion sense runs in the family."
"Of course," the twins snapped their fingers simultaneously. 

"Where are the others?" CJ changed the subject. 
"Food court," Adrian replied curtly, clearly half-distracted by a man who had stopped to look at dress shoes. 

"We'll meet you there, now out!" Maria shooed the boys, "She still needs to undress and choose shoes." Her companion audibly at the sound of her plans: Leo grinning at her obvious discomfort.

"Bye then!"

☆☆☆

"Ready?" CJ questioned the group, all of whom had crammed into a limo. Adjusting the pleats of her skirt, she reached for her mask, attaching it to her face. Her curled hair had been dyed a dark shade of grey, the silver highlights matching the beads on her bodice.

Luckily, the gala Antonio Romano was attending was a masquerade, however, due to this, security had been increased around the hall. Over the past few days, the gang had hidden weapons in the complex, thanks to Aiden's unparalleled ability with technology.

Looking around, CJ took in everyone's masks. Adrian had a metallic orange fox that matched his ginger hair, Iago and Paulo had matching blue, jewelled Romeo masks. Across from her, Leo's white wolf guise starkly contrasted his suit. Next to him, Aiden fiddled with the rubies on his mask.

Mike had settled on a plain burgundy mask, in the same shade as his suit. CJ herself had a black swan masquerade perched upon her nose, tied on top of her hair with a thin silver string that blended into her new hair colour. 

The car came to a stop, allowing the passengers to exit onto the driveway of the mansion. Her silver heels clicked on the concrete as she got out, refusing help from Leo. 
"Just so we're clear, stay in pairs at all times. Cortes, you're with Aussie here," she pointed between him and Adrian, "Aiden and Mike, you two stick together. And lastly, if they would kindly stop playing tonsil tennis, Paulo and Iago are a pair.

"What about you?" Aiden furrowed his eyebrows in concern. CJ turned to the door in front of the rest of her friends.

"I'll be hiding in plain sight."