5| Party night

"Caroline, good morning!"

     I glance up to see Indie as she slides into the booth across from me. It's Wednesday morning, and her dark hair is pulled into a ponytail, today. Her cobalt blue eyes are bright, unlike mine.

     "Tired?" She asks, observing my features.

     Is it that obvious?

    "The transition to a new school isn't easy, let me tell you." I explain, opening a carton of free milk that I got in the breakfast line.

    "I'm sorry to hear that." Indie's eyes darken.

     I take a sip. Not as sorry as I am, let me tell you.

    "So," She props her head up on a fist and smiles, "How was cheer practice? Do you think you'll join the team? I've been dying to know all morning!"

    I grimace, "I enjoyed myself."

I fit in pretty well with the others- with Meghan. And I've so missed having something to devote myself to. Yesterday finally felt like a glimmer of hope.

   But I can't, not if my mom needs my help. Images of last night's discovery of bills covering the master bedroom flash in my memory.

     "The thing is, I think I need to get a job." I reveal, "I'm not sure if balancing a job between cheer and school is possible."

    Does she get what I mean?

    Across from me, Indie chews her lip in thought. "It's weird how things happen," she thinks aloud, "But I can help, if you want."

    Help me? I don't even try to hide my surprise. "Really? You'd do that?"

    "Sure," she shrugs, " I've been working since freshman year. My single mom raised me, so I understand what you're facing."

    "I've got a single mom, too!"

That sounded a little weirder than I meant it to. I bite my lip.

     "What about a younger sibling?" Indie flashes a sly grin.

    "Yeah...Ace."

   "See," her face lights up, "we're practically the same person. I have a little sister."

    I guess Indie does understand. Not to be a loser, but I'm not used to that. I lean across the table.

    "How can you help?" My voice is low.

    "I'm actually the assistant manager now," she begins; I hold in the sudden urge to make a joke about The office, " at a bookstore in town."

Bookstore? I perk up. That sounds fun!

" I can make sure you get hired and that you get off on days that the cheerleaders have plans. It's really laid back," she continues.

   "That's really perfect." I exhale, my prayers have been answered. "I can't believe you're doing this for me. I'm really, really grateful."

     I watch her face; she blushes a smile, "Don't mention it. I would want the same if I was in your place."

     I wish everyone in the world was this kind. I nod appreciatively. Something about Indie feels good and safe.

  I open my mouth to speak, but before I can, a figure approaches our booth from behind.