50| Prom night

"I hope Meghan is okay." I whisper to the window in Bryce's car. Somehow he hears me as he's turning the steering wheel under one hand. We're headed home from the soccer game.

   "Why?" He questions me, "don't you think she deserves it after that stunt she pulled before the game?"

     I shrug. "It feels like justice, I guess. But justice still doesn't take away my empathy for her."

    It's dark out the windows. The game got over late, thanks to the ankle-snapping diversion. I'm exhausted from stepping-in as Meghan during the second half.

    But, the show had to go on.

   "This is why you're my girlfriend," Bryce smirks in a way that leaves me feeling adored.

    He's so cute. I want to cuddle him into oblivion.

    "Oh," he remembers, "I got some photos of you in the costume. Defo using them for blackmail."

     "And that's why you're my boyfriend." I say sarcastically.

    Our wheels make it to my driveway, so Bryce is finally able to release the steering wheel and turn to me.

    "Caroline, you're so caring. You're so forgiving." He looks at me, infatuation filling his gaze. I blink away from his face shyly.

   "Hey," he whispers, turning my chin back to look at him, "I'm sure those scouts were impressed tonight."

    "If not, that's okay."

    "Guarantee you'll be hearing about a scholarship any day now."

    I nod. The school year is coming rapidly to a close. Bryce and I are hurtling towards a strange new land of adulthood in mere months. I realize.

    "I don't want to think about college yet." I groan.

    I've already been accepted to several, but I don't want to think about having to finally commit to a final choice.

    "We graduate in like, a month and a half or something." He reminds me.

   I shake my head, "I know, but this is the first school I've ever wanted to belong to. The first people I've ever connected to: you, and indie, and Anson, and Seth." I shrug. "I don't want to leave it all behind, yet again."

   "You'll never leave the people behind. Not the ones you just listed. No matter what school you end up going to."

   I realize that Bryce and I have not even talked about the future together.

   Is that a bad sign?

   We're dating, for Pete's sake!

    "Are you worried?" He reads my expression. I give him an unconvinced little shove.

   "No."

   He breathes through his teeth, making a low whistle. "Look, it's been a long night. Maybe you should rest. The future can wait, one more night."

    I nod slowly. "Sorry," i apologize, "I know we talked about watching a movie or cuddling,"

   He chuckles. "It's okay. Honestly. We've got forever to cuddle. Right now, you need to rest. You carried the squad tonight. You've earned a good nights sleep."

     I'm sad to leave him, though.

    I pout my bottom lip. "I really did want to spoon."

   "Me too." His smile is wide, "but we can spoon to your hearts content, this weekend."

   This weekend? The last weekend before prom week.