9| Bryce's story

Bryce and I are silent, by the time the movie credits are rolling across the big screen. Like that, the movie has ended.

When we're out of the theater, we group up with Anson and Indie. They chat about their thoughts on the film, but after talking for a minute, it's pretty clear they missed a large part of the movie's climax...

One can only guess what it was that distracted them from it.

Because the theater we're in is a part of the local shopping mall, we collectively decide to head to the food court and get supper before going home.

Once again, Anson and Indie leave me alone with Bryce to go to the Noodle and Pho restaurant together. I sense that they enjoy going off on their own, knowing their friend won't be left out. Still, nerves start to rise in my chest to be left with Bryce.

"So- where do you want to eat?" His voice is low, breaking me from my thoughts. "There are a ton of options here."

"Chick-fil-a?" I suggest, craving just some fast, comfort food.

Bryce nods, licking his bottom lip. "Good idea." He says, and we get in a quickly-moving line.

"So," I say, looking up at the menu board, "did you enjoy the movie?"

A short chuckle escapes his lips at the mention of it. "It was interesting. Anson picked it out. It's a shame, though, that it didn't hold his attention." He laughs to himself; I laugh, too.

"I guess Indie is more interesting than a cheap thriller movie, wouldn't you agree?"

"By far." He flashes a pearly-white smile, and we place our orders.

"So," Bryce begins once we've found a table to eat at, "I'd like to ask you about the other night- the party."

     If I wasn't eating such a delicious sandwich, I might be tempted to lose my appetite at his reminder. I steady my arms against the table.

    "Your brother- is he okay?" Bryce asks, "I noticed you weren't at school-"

     He did? Something takes flight in my chest, but I shake the feeling. "I, er, skipped." My voice is unsure, "hey, can we talk about something besides the party?" I sound unintentionally strained.

     With a slow blink, Bryce nods. "Uh, sure. Okay... so the romance subplot of the movie- What were your thoughts on it?"

"Cheesy." I exhale, taking a bite of my sandwich. My nose scrunches, and I pull the pickle out from under the bun.

"You don't like pickles?" He seems shocked, for a moment.

I guess I don't. I've never really thought about it- I've pulled them off my sandwiches since I was a little girl!

"You want it?" I offer, holding it over his spread napkin.

"Of course I do!" He snatches the green sliver, and eats it slowly in my view. He looks so happy to get it, my giggle can't be contained.

"At least you appreciate it." I observe.

"Speaking of appreciating things," he teases, "you didn't appreciate the movie's love story?"

How many times do I have to say it?

    "No!" Exasperation is thick in my throat.

"Sorry," he puts large hands up defensively, " I'm pretty sure your demographic is what that plot was thrown into the movie for." Bryce adds with a grin.