21| My past

Lois drives a Range Rover. It's white and basically brand new.

I didn't know I could feel intimidated by a car until now.

Bryce and I sit in the backseat. It's comfortable, but there's nothing comfortable in the silence that settles over us.

     "So, Caroline," Lois finally begins speaking after what seems like an infinity of silence. I see her red lips move from the reflection in the rear view mirror, "Bryce hasn't told me much about you. Have you lived in town long?"

     "No," I try to sound polite. My fingertips tap nervously against my leg. "I just moved here."

    "And you're a senior?" Her voice is surprised.

    "Yeah."

    I'm used to that reaction.

    Beside me, Bryce rests with his hands behind his head. He gives me a nod of encouragement when I look to him. I wish he would speak up.

    "I love meeting Bryce's friends." Lois continues to reveal, "Anson and Indie are wonderful. I knew when Bryce wanted me to meet you, that you are a gem, too."

    Really? My cheeks feel warm.

   "I hope I don't disappoint." I relax against the seat. Lois giggles.

    "Honey- against Bryce- you're already a saint." She teases, "I have no place to be disappointed!"

     "-Hey!" Bryce growls playfully. 

   I bite my lip to keep from smiling. It seems his mother has a good sense of humor, too.

    "I wish my husband, Dennis, could be here," Lois says. "Since Bryce's older brother is away, we like to do things as a family- the three of us."

Bryce? A family guy? I almost choke. I don't believe it! I put the back of my hand to my mouth, holding in a laugh.

    "Mom, let's not." Bryce suggests with a plain expression.

    Lois turns the steering wheel with a hand. I notice her manicure, French tips. "Caroline, tell me about your family."

     My family?

I shift.

    "Well, there's Ace. He's my brother." My heart is full to think of him, "he's younger than I am."

    "You're close?"

    "Insanely." I nod.

    "I love it! And your parents?"

     My fingers stop tapping against my leg. "My mom- she's awesome. And she works a lot. She's the most driven woman I know."

    "Does she have golden hair like you?" Lois smiles.

     I tilt my head to look at it, falling past my shoulders. "Yeah." I exhale.

    "What about your father?"

    My- dad?

    "I- he has brown hair." I stumble over my words. It's a weird question, anyways.

     "I meant, what does he do for a living?"

    "Um-" My shoulders draw near my body, "He, uh," I shake my head,  "He's an officer."

   "In town?"

   "No." My voice is suddenly hoarse. Memories bring pain. They bring cold. Goosebumps.

I close my eyes for half a second.