46| Panic attack

"Caroline, you just dropped your bran muffin."

"Caroline?"

"Ugh- Caroline?!"

I feel my arm being shaken and blink out of my gaze to lock eyes with my little brother. I notice I'm holding a muffin wrapper but no muffin.

What the hell?

"Gravity." I blush as Ace picks up my breakfast.

His eyes narrow at me. "You've been acting so weird all morning."

He's been acting weird all month. I don't shake him like an earthquake, though.

I bite my lip. "Sorry," I apologize. I hold back the urge to share my news just yet.

How can I? I'd have to understand it myself for that to happen. And quite frankly, I don't.

I never planned to ask Bryce to be my boyfriend. But... it happened.

And now it's official.

Butterflies take flight in my chest. I won't tell my family just yet.

I want to keep this secret just to myself for now. I want to savor it.

Ace saunters out of the living room with his backpack. I jump up to follow him towards the bus.

The ride to school goes by quicker than ever. I'm at school before I can think about something other than dating Bryce.

I walk alone to class. When I get inside, I see Indie already at her seat. She beams at me, her blue eyes are dazzling.

"Congratulations." She can't help but smile.

"You heard?" I settle into my assigned spot with a smile.

She nods. "Bryce called Anson last night after he dropped you off at your house. He was excited."

Her expression is that of the emoji with the big beady sad eyes that communicate: "I find this adorable".

It makes my heart skip a beat, hearing that Bryce called his best friends to tell them.

"You asked him, huh?"

I shrug. "Why not? I just... suddenly knew."

Indie twists her necklace between fingers. "I love that you took the step. You guys are perfect."

"Thanks." My cheeks grow hot.

The school bell rings overhead. After a moment, Anson and Bryce enter the room. It's all I can do to think straight. I'm so excited, I want to jump to my feet and greet him.

I anchor myself to my desk. Bryce smirks as he takes his spot beside of me. We excitedly turn our heads towards each other.

"Your boyfriend has arrived." He announces to me with a grin.

Boyfriend. I get chills.

"It's about time." I bite my lip.

"What? Miss me already? It's been less than 12 hours." Bryce's dark eyes sparkle. I can tell he's taking this moment in.

"I'm glad." I whisper. He winks as Ms. Graves enters the room in her heels that make loud clicking noises on the tile.

She begins class, but I'm not paying attention. I'm thinking of the boy sitting right beside of me.