41| House Warming

The night of the house-warming, I put on a little black dress. It's not too fancy, but it hugs my figure and definitely screams: this is not just a regular supper.

     I do my hair in a half-up, half-down 'do. My golden hair glows in the light of my bathroom.

After I'm ready, I help mom set the table. She's prepared spaghetti and meatballs, garlic knots, and her special garden salad. My stomach growls to see the food. I guess I haven't eaten in a while.

     "How does it look?" Mom raises a brow, examining her work. I shrug happily

    "It looks delicious!" Before I can add to my thoughts, I hear Ace.

     "We've got company!" He yells from the door.

    Mom and I turn to look at him. He's in a button down and dress pants. I'm glad he's taken tonight seriously like we have.

     "You look cute, Ace." I smirk. "Any girls coming?"

    He sticks out his tongue and opens the door. Seth walks in.

   I'm guessing that's a "no" from Ace.

     "Good evening!" Seth calls, stealing my attention. Ace takes his coat, which cracks me up. Seth approaches with rosy cheeks.

     "I guess I'm the first here?" He seems embarrassed about that. He looks around as if he hopes that's not true.

     I laugh. "You're right on time!"

    He grins, reminding me to reintroduce him. "Seth, welcome to my house. This is my mom, in case you have forgotten."

    Mom approaches with her hand out. "I think we met briefly, a while ago " she smiles as Seth shakes her hand earnestly.

    "It's great to meet you again." He puts on his most charming smile. I cover my mouth to keep from laughing at his dorkiness .

    At the door, Ace now ushers Anson and Indie inside.

    "Hey guys!" I leave Seth to talk with mom as I make my way to the couple.

    Anson flashes a smile as Indie leaves his side to give me a hug.

    "I heard you and Bryce made up!" She whispers into my ear.

     "It's true."

    We pull away. She nods knowingly. "I told you it will work out."

    "Thank you." I say. She was right.

    "What's for supper?" Anson butts in, distractedly. "It smells great in here."

    Indie pokes his stomach. "You never stop, do you?"

    "It's fine." I giggle. "My mom made spaghetti." I answer his question.

     "Yes!" Anson does a fist pump. "Oh- by the way," he digs into his pockets and pulls out a slightly-crumpled envelope.

    I raise a brow.

    "This is for you." He hands it to me. "Just something you guys can use to make this new house a bit more your own."

    Indie nods. "We thought we would make this a proper house-warming. So use that money to buy something for the house."

     I peek inside, and I notice a generous check from Anson and Indie.

    "You guys didn't have to—"

      "We wanted to!"

     My eyes are watery at the gift. Never have I had friends this kind. "You guys are so special. Thank you."