43| Drive-in

A/N: warning! This chapter contains slightly mature content. Please read at your own discretion.

*****

"Nice truck"

Bryce proudly pats the bright red pickup truck in my driveway. I'm standing on my porch with crossed arms as his long fingers run down a few inches of the bed. He leans over the side and reaches to pull something out.

I wasn't expecting him to swing by my house today, but the surprise is a welcome one, for sure.

What's he doing? I step forward with a raised brow as he looks for something in the truck bed.

All at once, Bryce turns and tosses a rolled blanket to me in the air.

I catch it with a grin. He's still got a good arm, all these months after football. "Blanket?!" I realize with surprise.

He nods, reaching into his corduroy jacket pocket. I leave my porch to see what else he has up his sleeve. He pulls out two strips of paper. Tickets.

"Would you care for a drive-in movie tonight?" He looks down at me with a grin.

"The drive in?!" I squeal with excitement.

I love a good drive-in!

"Of course!"

I bounce on my heels as he throws the blankets into the borrowed truck. "Come on then. It's starting to go dark."

Bryce saunters over to the drivers side in his distinctive gait. I walk to the passenger's side and hop in- feeling spontaneous as always with Bryce.

Of course I want to go do something with him.

We actually haven't done too many things like this, alone.

The drive-in is such a good idea.

In mere minutes, we're arriving at the movie. Bryce pulls into our spot and loses no time spreading his blanket over us. Its fluffy and covered with a moose pattern. I briefly wonder where he got it. I'm warm and cozy beneath the blanket.

"Should we get snacks?" He asks me as soon as I'm comfortable.

"Maybe at intermission." I say, not wanting him to pull away.

"The movie hasn't started yet!" He whines. "And I like to snack."

I cross my arms; he concedes and puts his arm around me. He kisses the side of my face. "Let's find the station," he tunes the radio to sync with the drive-in.

It's not long before the screen melts into a million colors. I see them reflect in Bryce's eyes.

He's so cute.

I snuggle close to him. My head is resting on his chest.

"Don't fall asleep." He warns, resting his head on mine.

"I will make no promises."

Bryce chuckles, it reverberates in his chest and I can feel it. I yawn, flooded with warmth and happiness.

*****

"Caroline!"

I wake to Bryce shaking me gently. "It's intermission."

I yawn and rub my eyes. "How long was I asleep?"

"Basically the whole time." He laughs.