Prologue

I stroll down the streets of New York City in my ripped skinny jeans and tattered Nirvana shirt tucked into the front waistband. I see a rock, and I kick it as hard as I can with the tip of my black hightop converse. My hair is kept down for once, it's blonde locks trailing down my shoulder in cascading waves. My airpods blast the song, "Best Song Ever," as I nod my head to the beat, letting the rhythm flow through my body.

I don't usually dress like this. I'm more like sweatpants, loose t-shirt kind of gal but i wanted to dress up a little before my mom's surprise.

I walk into Starbucks, pulling out my Gucci wallet, my last gift from my father before he died when I was only three years old. The barista at the counter sends me the stink eye.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

Pondering for a moment, I put my hand on my chin. "Can I get a soy latte frappuccino with three pumps of almond extract, two and a half pumps of french vanilla extract, less ice because ice is a scam, double blended, with a scoop of strawberry ice cream and extra whipped cream?"

The barista stares back at me with wide eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"I said what I said."

I turn around with a flick of my blonde hair, but before I knew it, my body crashed into a strong wall of white. I fall back, but there's a scorching liquid against my chest as I slowly tumble backwards. I close my eyes, ready for the impact of the cold, hard ground, but it never comes.

Instead, a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist, and I open my eyes to meet a pair of hazel orbs staring into my soul.

"Are you okay?"

I nod wordlessly, entranced by the way brown waves wiggle through his irises.

He lifts me up to my feet with little effort, and pulls his arms back. I immediately miss the warmth around my waist.

"Sorry I soiled your shirt I can buy you a new one."

"Oh, no oppar! Mianhae! I wasn't looking where I was going."

"No please!" the boy-- no, the man-- holds his hands out with his iPhone XR. "Give me your number."

I slowly enter my number, blushing furiously as i put a t-shirt emoji at the end of my name.

"Um, Oppar, what is your name?"

The man puts a hand behind his neck, scratching slowly, but flexing his bicep at the same time. "I'm Jungcock, but you can call me Kookie-Oppar."