Chapter 8: The First Step

The boys awoke about midday and the sun drifted high in the sky. Bendy groaned in annoyance. So much for leaving first thing in the morning. Sasha was cooking them a nice lunch. She still seemed really nervous. She would check on them every few minutes, and she was fidgeting, constantly doing something, like she had to stay busy.

"Where are you two heading again?" she asked over her dark wood table after she set down the meal.

"Sorry, can't say," Bendy answered after swallowing.

"And why not?" she demanded.

"It's just better if we don't," Boris said. Sasha huffed.

"Promise to be safe?" she asked, looking at the table, down heartened.

"Of course, Sash. You know us, we're reliable." Bendy smiled and grabbed a toothpick on the table.

"You mean a pair of troublemakers!" she teased. After a moment she sighed. "I really can't stop ya, can I?"

"Short of calling the coppers on us, no." Bendy leaned his chair back on two legs.

"Did you just say short?" Sasha asked in amusement. Bendy stuck his tongue out playfully. It wasn't long after that the boys were pulling on their packs and heading to the door. Sasha fretted like a mother hen.

"Are you sure you have enough food?" she asked.

"Yes." Boris said.

"And coats and blankets? It may be summer, but it can still get chilly when the sun goes down," Sasha said.

"Yes ma'am," Boris said.

"And you packed your toothbrushes?"

"Oh my stars Sash, yes! We have everything we need." Bendy mocked exasperation. Sasha blushed and shoved Bendy's shoulder, but she was smiling. Bendy chuckled.

"Alright, ginger-snap. Oh!" She suddenly turned around and left. She returned quickly and pressed something into Bendy's gloved hand. "Take this too."

He looked down to see a large roll of bills. "Sasha, we can't take this!" Boris gasped at the money.

"Shush now. I can get by, and the club will always bring me more. I want you boys to be safe. Please take it for my piece of mind." She smiled sincerely. Both were speechless. Boris suddenly wrapped her up in a hug.

"Thank you, Miss Sasha. Thank you for everything," he said, his tail wagging. Sasha laughed and returned the hug.

"Yeah, Sash, you're the best boss I never had," Bendy said. She looked over and dragged Bendy into the hug too. She kissed both boys on the cheek, before pulling back.

"Now, you'd better get. If you linger any longer, I'll have to tie you up and keep you," she said, her eyes suspiciously wet.

"Goodbye, Miss Sasha." Boris waved and turned to leave.

"Bye Sash," Bendy said with a goofy grin on his face.

"Goodbye boys. Be sure to write me, ya hear! Don't just disappear on me," Sasha said with a wave.

The two made their way down the hall and to the back-exit. Sasha overheard Bendy. "Bro, I gotta kiss! I told you I had a chance." She heard Boris' laugh, but not his reply. Sasha took a moment to pull herself together. She had to come to terms that she couldn't do more. She wasn't their parent or sister and she really couldn't do much that wouldn't either get the cops involved or her in trouble. They were determined to go their own way and they had made it so far without any adult help. She got one last glance of them outside her window. "I'll miss you two." She sighed and leaned against the wall.