Chapter 22: Unexpected Guests

Aviva POV

I quickly pushed myself off Sebastian and wiped my face. I went from being scared yet relieved, to angry with myself. I can't believe I let myself cry to him. How could I let myself show such weakness to him? Especially after today. I grabbed my book and jumped off the front of the carriage. I opened the door to let Ciel out.

"Hello, young master. Did you have a pleasant ride?" I said helping him out.

"I hate this. There are too many people in London." Ciel said coldly, walking to the front door.

"There is no helping it, my lord." Sebastian said opening the doors. "It's tradition for the nobility to migrate en masse to town from the country every season." He said following Ciel inside. I closed the front doors and followed behind.

"The season, eh? A waste of time if you ask me." Ciel said coldly, walking up the stairs.

"Getting away from the manor could prove a nice change of pace. It's a break from those four at least. We could enjoy a little peace and quiet for a time." Sebastian said following Ciel upstairs. I was very wary to follow. I had a bad feeling walking up those stairs. I guess Sebastian could tell.

"Is everything alright, Miss Aviva?" He asked turning around. I was focused on that feeling and he snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Hm?" I said looking to him. "Yes, everything is fine." I said somewhat coldly, before quickly turning away.

"Some peace and quiet does sound nice." Ciel said before stopping at a pair of doors. Sebastian opened the doors to a scene we certainly weren't prepared for.

Madame Red growled, frustrated. "Goodness sake. Where do they keep the tea in this house?" She said looking through some cabinets.

The room...it was a mess! They completely ransacked it. Looking for tea! Great. Lau is here. I never really liked him. And of course with Madame Red comes Grell.

"I can't find it either." Lau said...looking into a vase.

"Don't be silly, of course it's not in there!" Madame Red said. Thank you Madame Red.

I looked at Ciel and Sebastian and I could hear the words "peace and quiet" echoing through their heads.

"Madame Red?! Lau?! What are you doing here?!" Cie asked, confused.

"Ciel! You're early dear. And I see you've brought Aviva with you! I never would have expected that." She said looking to the three of us. I was a bit offended by her words, but not surprised. He is here for a case, after all.

"Your sudden appearance here in town must mean-" Lau said before he was cut off.

"The Queen's guard dog has a new scent to follow." Madame Red said.

Ciel sent me and Sebastian to get the bags off the carriage. I ran to the carriage, pulled down my bag, and ran back inside. I was still upset over Sebastian eavesdropping on me and Finny. I really shouldn't be. I shouldn't care at all. It's my own down fault for putting any kind of trust in a demon. I went to the room I'd be staying in and put my bag on my bed. I took my coat off and put all my books in a neat stack on my nightstand. I straightened out my uniform and went to find the kitchen. It was much smaller than the manor and somehow I still got lost.

"Dammit." I cursed to myself. Well, I can't call Ciel. I sighed. "Sebastian?" I called for him quietly. He got here a little too quickly and I jumped.

"You called for me, Miss Aviva?" He said looking down at me, a bit eager.

"I got lost." I said looking down, embarrassed. "I was trying to find the kitchen." I said.

"I was about to head there myself." He said grabbing my hand. I looked up at him and blushed. "Shall we?" He asked before taking me to the kitchen.

We got to the kitchen and he reluctantly let go of my hand. Why was he so hesitant to let go of me? It was time to get the afternoon tea ready. I started gathering ingredients for snacks and whatnot. I started on the sandwiches, but I wasn't paying much attention. I lost hold of my knife. I tried to grab it as it fell and of course, I ended up cutting my hand.

"Shit!" I hissed. Sebastian quickly turned around and the blood on my hand. He pulled me over and sat me down at the table. "Sebastian, it's fine." I told him. He went to find a first aid kit. "Sebastian." I said louder, trying to get his attention. He wasn't listening to me! He got the kit and knelt in front of me. He started cleaning up the blood. "Sebastian, I'm fine. I can handle it." I said trying to pull my hand away. He would not let go of my hand. But he was holding it so...gently. I sighed and looked away.

"Aviva." He said softly, not looking up from my hand.  "I'd like to apologize for my behaviour today." He said putting some cream over my cut. I looked down at him, honestly surprised. "Finnian was correct when he said I did not mean to scare you. And I apologize for eavesdropping on you and him." He said looking up at me.

There was so much sincerity in his voice. I still wasn't sure if I could trust him. I wanted to. I really wanted to trust him. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded. He gave me his closed eyes smile before finishing bandaging my hand. After he finished he stood up and went back to fixing afternoon tea. I decided that if I wanted to trust him, I would. Fuck it. I'll trust him ifI want to. Until he does something to make me lose that trust completely.

"Sebastian?" I called him quietly.

"Yes, Aviva?" He said turning to me. No "miss." I think I like it better that way.

"Thank you." I said looking up at him. He smiled at me.

"Of course." He said before going back to work.