Chapter 49: A Day at the Beach Gone Wrong

Aviva POV

There wasn't much for us servants to do around Barrymore Castle. Angela refused our help every time we offered it.

It's still weird to call myself a servant. I mean with college debt I would be an indentured servant for the rest of my life. I reminisced on my old life and what Undertaker said. How the fuck did I get here? Who the fuck brought me here? Why the fuck was I brought here? Whomst'd've the fuck? He said it was "for the best." But...for whose best? Mine? Ciel's? .....Sebastian's?

Since there wasn't anything for us to do, we all just...chilled outside. Finny leaned against the castle, Bard was sitting down, leaning forward on a small table. I sat beside him, Mey-rin in the chair behind me, playing with my hair.

I tried to think of words to describe the environment. Gray, deceased, void...oof. Just...oof. Capital 'o' Oof. Feels like we're waiting for the eternally dead grass to grow. This was just...depressing. I could feel everyone's energy at its lowest. It was seriously bumming me out.

"This has got to be the worst holiday ever." Bard said.

"The worst, yet it is." Mey-rin agreed.

"What's the matter?" We looked up to see Sebastian walking towards us. I smiled. "You were so excited on the way here." He said.

"Yeah well, that was before." Bard said, disappointed.

"Don't look so gloomy. We're on holiday, it's a time meant for relaxing." Sebastian said revealing a picnic basket and swimsuit, giving his trademark closed eyes smile.

Everyone's faces lit up, the spark of hope that the trip would be, at least somewhat, enjoyable was reignited.

Time Skip

"Come on Mey-rin, you look amazing!" I said enthusiastically.

"Oh I can't go out there like this, I can't!" She said, embarrassed.

"Mey-rin you really do look fantastic!" I said trying to reassure her.

"Aren't you both coming too?!" I heard Bard shout.

"Just a sec!" I shouted back.

"Oh I wish you'd swim too, I do!" Mey-rin said.

"I know..." My voice trailed off as I panicked looking for a reason not to swim other than being mortified of Sebastian seeing me in a Victorian swimsuit. Aha! "I'm just worried about the scratches on my chest getting wet!" I said, audibly panicked.

"Well that's a good point, it is." She said. Whew!

In one quick movement I nudged Mey-rin out of the changing tent, with me following. The guys swimming quickly stopped playing and looked at Mey-rin. They made their way to us on the beach.

"Oh, this is absolutely humiliating!" Mey-rin said, shrinking to the sand.

"No worries Mey-rin, you look lovely!" Finny said.

"My work here is done." I said, satisfied.

I wiped my hands triumphantly and made my way to Ciel, Sebastian, and Angela. I sat next to Angela and opened a parasol. I can't remember the last time I was at a beach. After another minute of swimming, Tanaka left the lake and sat next to me. I looked out and smiled at my new frie-family. I suppose that's what they are now really. My family.

Third Person POV

"You all seem very close." Angela said. Aviva turned to face her.

"Yeah they are. Tanaka has been with Phantomhives for a long time. Finny, Bard and Mey-rin have worked together for...a few years now I suppose." Aviva replied.