[ T H I R T Y - F I V E ]

T O N Y

I let out a sigh as Pepper's cell goes straight to voicemail as always.

"Pepper, please call me back when you can. I just want to know how Morgan's doing. I-" Before I could finish my sentence the beep cuts me off, signalling the end of my message.

I curse under my breath as I toss my phone aside.

Sure, the Stark Tower was luxurious to live in, but it's insane how lonely it can get here.

"Is everything okay, Mr Stark?" JARVIS' voice asks, "Is there anything I could do?"

"Could you get Pepper to pick up?"

"My apologies, but I'm afraid that's out of my control, Mr Stark." JARVIS replies.

"That's what I thought." I mumble, mostly to myself.

The room is plunged into silence as I pour myself a glass of my best bottle of Whiskey. I just wished there was a little more life in here.

"Actually, JARVIS. There might be something you could help me with." I started, taking another quick sip of my drink, "How about a party?"

"A party?" JARVIS drawls, sounding a little hesitant, "Are you sure, Sir? You just had one last night."

"Don't be such a party pooper, JARVIS. No one likes that." I rolled my eyes, "Send the invite, everyone is invited. Unless they're not."

"Yes, Sir." JARVIS complies.

He goes silent for a minute and I take the moment to savour my drink before his voice echoes through the hall again.

"Sir, it seems we already have some company." He announces.

"That's fast." I stated, "Let the party begin!"

I spin around, abandoning the glass and drinking straight from the bottle now.

My elevator opens to reveal two people- a girl and a guy I've never seen before.

My mouth falls slightly ajar as my eyes land on the lady's face, "It's you."

"Hi, Tony." The girl- I think her name was Camille, greets, "I'm not sure if you remember Bucky."

"No, I don't." I answer bluntly, "The last I remember, you were a wanted woman."

"Well," She shrugs with a sigh, "That issue's settled, I guess."

Camille walks further into the room, looking around as if expecting someone.

"Where's Pepper and Morgan?" She asks, "I was hoping to see them."

I'm at a lost for words at her question, "H-how do you-" I pause, thinking she must've done some background check on me before she came here, "You know what, I don't care how you know. It's none of your business!"

"I already told you." She replies, "What I said in S.H.I.E.L.D was the truth."

"Bull." I spat, "I don't know what you want from me, but you can drop the act. I don't know you and I sure as hell don't believe a word you're saying."

"Trust me, I get that this is hard to believe-"

"It isn't hard to believe, it's impossible!" I cut her off, pointing to the exit, "Now, get out."

The two weirdos exchange a glance, before turning to me.

"We can't do that, Tony." The man speaks for the first time, "We need your help."

"What makes you think I'm going to help you?"

Camille shrugs, "I was hoping you'll just find it in your heart to."

I scoff, talking another mouth full of my drink before slamming the bottle down on the counter.

Neither one of them seems to react. A normal person would at least flinch, but the both of them just stand there with their arms crossed over their chests, analysing my every move.

"Am I going to have to throw you out of here myself?" I challenge, stepping up to Bucky and staring him down.

"You can try-" The man starts, only to be cut off by his companion.

"Buck, let it go." She holds up a hand to stop him as she glances at me, "He's clearly drunk."

I let out a laugh, "I'm pretty sure I could still take the both of you. Want to bet?"

"You know what, Stark?" Camille snaps, "I don't know what you have going on in that big head of yours, but believe it or not, you and I in my reality- great friends. So, why don't you drop this tough guy act and just talk to me. Maybe then we could come to a mutual understanding."

She lets out a sigh when I refuse to talk to her.

"Look," Camille starts again, her voice gentler than before, "I get why you don't trust us. But we need her help, Tony. People might get hurt if you don't help us."

I fix her with a glare, taking a step closer to try to intimidate her but it doesn't seem to work. She doesn't even move a muscle, her eyes staring back at me unwavering.

"What makes you think I give a damn?" I don't back down.

"Because I know you." She shrugs, "You're never one to back down from an opportunity to do the right thing, to set an example for Morgan."

"Stop talking about my daughter!" I yell, "You don't know anything about her or me."

I take another step forward, jabbing a finger at her chest, making her stagger back this time.

"I haven't seen my daughter in years. Pepper left me and she took Morgan." I scoff, "So you're wrong. Which proves my point, you don't know anything about me. There, is that what you wanted to hear? Are you happy now?"

The two fall silent, their eyes now filled with amixture of surprise, sadness and the one thing I hate the most; pity.

"Don't look at me like that." I spat, "I don't need you to take pity on me, what I need is for you to get out of my house!"

I didn't realise I was shaking until Camille puts a hand over mine.

"Tony, I'm sorry." She mutters.

For a split second, her touch felt familiar and comfortable, and a part of me almost starts to believe that she and I were once the best of friends.

I snap myself out of it, snatching my hand out of her grasp before pointing towards the door, "Get out. I won't ask again."

The two finally seems to give in, turning to head for the elevator.

The man named Bucky stops just shy of it, turning to face me again.

"Things don't have to stay like this man." He says, "You had a better life, surrounded by the people you love. We can get it back if you just help us-"

"Buck." The girl stops, "That's enough. He's already made his decision. Let's just go."

With that the two enters the elevator, leaving me with a bottle of Whiskey and my thoughts.