[ F O R T Y - F O U R ]

C A M I L L E

I wake up with a splitting headache. Groaning, I roll onto my side and the confusion hits me in an instant. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I take another good look around me to make sure that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. They weren't.

I was indeed back home, alone in Steve and I's bedroom tucked comfortably in our king bed. I'm immediately on my feet, rushing down the stairs and into our living room.

"Steve?" I called, panic starting to set in.

"Cam, I'm here." Steve says, coming out of the kitchen, "Are you okay?"

He rushes over to me, eyes roaming over me in search of any injuries before he lets out a sigh of relief and planting a kiss on my forehead.

"H-How did we end up back here?" I ask, letting out a breath that I haven't realized I was holding.

"I have no idea." Steve replies, "I called Tony, they're meeting back at Headquarters."

I simply stare at my fiancé for a minute, a million thoughts rushing through my mind at the same time.

"Steve, what do you remember?"

"Everything." He says, pausing for a minute as if just realizing that he had his memories back, "God, I'm supposed to be dead right now. I was shot in the head."

He then turns to me, suddenly pulling me into a tight hug, "And I forgot you. How could I have forgotten you?" He mumbles.

The pain in his voice is unmistakable, he was clearly beating himself up for something that wasn't even in his control- as Steve so often does.

"Steve, that wasn't your fault."

He pulls back to look at me, his eyes holding my gaze, "Well, it sure felt like it."

I reach up to plant a kiss on his lips and he returns it, twice as deep, wrapping his arms around my waist and holding me close to his chest.

"You still found your way back to me, didn't you?"

I feel him smile against my lips at my question, breaking our kiss.

"And I always will." His lips tug into a wide smile, the same smile that never fails to make my heart skip a beat.

I smile, "We should get to Headquarters, everybody's probably waiting."

"Fine, this plan involves the rest of the team anyway."

He gives me one more kiss of the forehead before heading to get the car ready while I freshen up.

Before we know it, we're on our way to the Avengers Headquarters. I shift nervously in the passenger seat as Steve drives, still feeling slightly worried by our situation. Us being back in our reality should be a good thing...Right?

As if sensing my worries, Steve reaches over to take my hand in his before offering me a comforting smile.

"Good or bad, we'll figure this out." He says, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.