[ F O R T Y - T W O ]

S T E V E

New Years' Eve, 2024.

It's funny how clear my memories are to me now and of all the ones that have come back to me since the start, this one is definitely my favourite, apart from the day Camille said 'yes', of course.

"You sure you don't want to spend time with your favourite Sister, Cam?" Natasha pouts.

Camille chuckles at the way Natasha only acts when she's with her Sister. No one else.

"Can't my fiancé and I spend a little one-on-one time together?" Camille replies, "Also, you're my only Sister."

"Which is exactly why it is pre-determined that I am your favourite." Natasha smiles, "Come on, we're having a party! Join us! Besides, both of you spend plenty of one-on-one time together." She raises a brow at us suggestively.

"Nat!" I shoot her a pointed look and she laughs.

Natasha raises her hands in front of her in surrender, "Okay, okay. Go ahead. But don't come complaining to me when you see us having more fun than you."

"I think I've had enough of Tony's parties for the year and the next two decades. We'll be fine." I reply, picking up the picnic basket that Camille had insisted on packing.

"Be careful with that, there's soup in there!" Camille warns and I simply wave her concerns away.

Soon enough, I hear a familiar groan by the door. Turning around, I find Tony leaning up against the door.

"A picnic? Boring!" He yells and Natasha hums in agreement, "Seriously, Tinky Winky. You're letting this guy turn you into something out of a retirement home instead of the oh-so lively lady that you're supposed to be." Tony jokes, jabbing his thumb over his shoulder at me.

Cam rolls her eyes at him, "I am still very lively, just so we're clear." She shrugs, "And I think a picnic's really sweet."

She smiles up at me and I reach over to plant a kiss on her lips, which she returns.

The display of affection seems to be enough to send the two running, but not before getting their last words in.

"Get a room!" Tony yells, making his way out of the room with Natasha in tow and assumably to their party.

"You ready?" Camille asks, snaking her arms around my neck.

My smile widens as I look at her and there isn't one thing I don't love about her; from those mesmerising green eyes to her adorable buttoned nose that she seems to hate, but I love, and the softest lips I've ever kissed- everything about her was perfect. She was everything I could ever dream of.

"Hey!" She scolds jokingly, "Snap out of your daydream. I asked a question!"

I let out a laugh at that before answering, "Always, as long as it's with you."

That was the night we spend stargazing in a closed-off section of the Eiffel Tower. Camille had portaled us there. She had her dinner accompanied by the view that she always wanted to see and I had mine with a view of my own; the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on. That was also the day when I decided I wanted her to be mine forever and the next months that followed finding the perfect ring to do exactly that.