8.

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."

••••

"Okay how in the world am I supposed to know that?" Elena asks, hurrying out of the cafeteria behind me. "It's not like there is a book from where I can learn these.. basic.. social things."

I ignore her and increase my pace. She has to jog with to match up with me now since she's so short.

"Kai. You can't seriously be mad at me."

It's not her. I'm not mad at her. I'm mad at myself. Because I liked that she unknowingly turned down that date offer. I absolutely loved it. And I know I shouldn't. This isn't right.

She jumps in front me to block my way and I am stunned by her beauty as always. I've never seen a girl as oblivious of her charm as she is.

Her big doll eyes, her black hairs with highlights of blue, her long sharp nose and perfectly shaped lips. Everything about her is so desirable. I've seen people stare at her in surprise everywhere she goes. The dorm, the cafeteria, her classes. She is already very popular and she doesn't even know it.

Her dressing should also get credit for it. She always wears monotonous clothes and that too according to her mood which I find extremely fascinated. I am willing to bet a 100 dollars that no other girl in the campus can pull off her style. It's absolutely unique and weirdly gorgeous.

I walk past her. Suddenly, she grabs my hand. I stop. She never does that. Not voluntarily. It's stupid how just touching hands with her feels so intimate.

"Kai. I'm sorry though I don't know what I am sorry for. Just don't be mad at me okay?" She says cutely.

It's impossible. Impossible to not develop feelings for her.

"I'm not mad. I'm just.. not in a good mood." I lie. She raises a brow but doesn't comment. We start walking again.

She starts telling about her day. How her psychology professor exhausts them with projects and surveys and theoreticals. That her English lit is going good and they are currently rereading Wuthering Heights.

It's amazing how she can always find topics for talking. Once she starts, it's very hard to stop her. But I like it. It gives me a chance to sneak glances at her.

We reach the dorm and suddenly I notice a decrease in her pace. I slow myself down too. We take a few steps forward before she grabs my arm.

I panic but refrain from holding her waist because she might freak out again. "Are you alright? Elena what's wrong?"

"Just.. sleepy. Nothing much. Don't worry. Can you please.. take me to my room?" Her eyelids are almost dropping.

I nod and walk her to her room supporting half of her weight. She hands me the keys and I open the door. She hops down her bed and immediately falls asleep.

I don't get it. How can she one minute be so active and other so sleepy? It doesn't make any sense.

I know there is something she is hiding. Something big. But aren't we all hiding something or the other?

I decide not to force her. She will tell me when the time comes.

--------------------------------------------