9.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."

▪▪▪▪

"Then there was this girl.. she was a senior while I was a junior. She was madly after me. So much that she started stalking me. It was super weird. She knew everything about me. Even what colour underwear I was wearing. It got creepier." Kai tells.

We both had fifteen minutes before our next class so we decided to grab a coffee. I asked him to tell his experience with different girls and girlfriends.

I never expected him to be this open about it. But I am loving the fact that he has started being comfortable with me.

"So.. how did it stop?" I ask, utmost interested.

"I did not want to get her in trouble so I gave her a few warnings but she paid no heed. My brother decided it was enough and reported anonymously to the principal. It got huge within seconds. I mean, a girl stalker? That's something that boys do isn't it? But anyway she was suspended and she resented me for it. Eventually she got over me." He concludes.

"Your brother is younger than you right?"

"Yes. Three years. He got in NYU this year. Studying economics and business studies like you assumed me to." There is a glint of love in his eyes when he talks about his brother.

"You are in third year. That should makes you two years apart." I question.

"He's really intelligent. Skipped one grade." He explains.

"You never told me your minor."

"Mass Media."

"Oh. So that's how you and Chris know each other." I make out the connection.

"Yeah. We were both freshman and helped each other out many times. Your sister is a good one. Energetic, enthusiastic, lively."

"Yeah. All of them are. That is why I am odd one out right?" I look down as I say this.

"You remember that."

"Ofcourse I do. It's hard not to. Those were your first words for me."

"Being odd one out means you're unique. You should be happy." He reaches for my hand but I pull away.

"I am not. My whole life I've been treated as odd one out. I just didn't realise that until you spelled that out." I shouldn't lose my temper like this but I can't help it.

"Listen. I didn't even know you back then. Chris used to talk about you. Told me you were different and that needed extra care. I accept it was rude of me to call you odd one out when I didn't even know you. I'm sorry."

"The point still remains. I am different." I gasp when realisation hits. "Are you here because Chris told you watch over me?" I get up.

"What? No. Yeah she did call a few days ago and asked me to check on you once in awhile but..."

It takes everything in me to prevent my eyes from watering. "That's all I needed to hear. I'm sorry for troubling you but I can take care of myself. You don't have to babysit me."

With this I storm out of the cafe. Kai calls out after me but I ignore him.

Just when I thought my life was going good. Why do I keep on forgetting that I'll always be the odd one out.

--------------------------------

It's lunch and I am still fuming. But more than angry, I'm hurt. Worst thing is that it was Kai who did this. My emotions are heightened when it comes to him.

Anna and I walk side by side in the cafeteria discussing about our survey when three boys' whistling sounds grab our attention.

They are sitting on the table. Rudely scanning us from top to bottom.

I am wearing my red one shoulder top which stops just above my belly button and red pencil skirt with golden heels.

"I give the blondie a six. And I am being generous." One of them says. The others agree.

"The raven head looks hot. Nine and a half. I would've given a ten if the skirt would've been a little shorter." Another one comments.

Anna looks down and pulls at my hand. Motioning me to move. These guys don't understand what red means. It means anger. They messed with the wrong girl on the wrong day.

I tell her Anna to go ahead which she does gladly.

I, on the other hand, approach the trio. They give me malicious glances. I take out a mirror from my bag and shove it in front the centre one's face.

"You know what I would give this? Minus one. I would've given a zero if your hairs were a little less greasy and maybe a one if you didn't have a disgusting nose." I say. "Ain't that right everyone?" I direct this to everyone in the cafeteria who respond with loud cheers and laughs.

I spot Kai and Becca and Lucas and everyone else in their same spot. Lucas and Becca are enjoying this while Kai is frowning. Carlos gives me a thumbs up.

The guy's face turns red with anger. He comes towards me furiously. I notice Lucas getting from his seat maybe he's coming in my defense but he doesn't know I can fight my own wars.

"Bitch!"

He raises a hand but before it can touch me, my leg flies up to his chin in a kick. He stumbles and before he can recover, I kick his chest with my heeled leg making him fall and groan in pain.

Lucas is soon by my side. The other two guys don't even dare to come closer.

"I will kill you if I see this happening ever again. Is that clear?" I ask them. They stay silent. "Is that clear?" My voice raises a couple octaves.

They nod.

"Now get lost you suckers." Lucas commands.

The two boys grab their friend and rush out of the cafeteria.

Kai is coming to me now. I can't tolerate having a fight with him right now.

I rush out. This is not good. I've lost a major amount of my energy and it is sure to take a toll on me. Worse is that it was accompanied by heavy dose of emotions as well.

I jog but it won't get me anywhere. I can't believe this is happening now.

My steps halter and I come to a standstill. Before long, I'm sinking to the ground slowly.

"Elena!"

Kai's scream is the last thing I hear before I fall asleep.