18.

Your outer beauty captures the eye, your inner beauty captures the heart.

••••

Our eyes widen at the same time when I open the door.

Kai looks straight out of a magazine cover in his forest green suit and for once he has worked on his hair as well.

A lot of eyes are on him. And they aren't even trying to be subtle.

I step out of the room and now basically everyone in the corridor is staring at us.

"Oh my god the radiance you both are exuding. I'm blinded." Becca says.

She is standing in front Kai's room with Lucas. When did she get there? How long have we been staring at each other?

"I don't usually meddle in things like this but you both look great together." Lucas says in a matter of fact tone.

"Wo ho, I am smelling the birth of a campus couple here." Mike, one of Kai's ton of friends, pop up slinging an arm over his shoulder.

I open my mouth to deny this but Kai beats me to it. "We're just friends."

Even though he says it, I don't think anyone will believe him. His jaw ticks as if someone forced the words out if him.

My eyes meet Becca's and she mouths, "Cause of you."

"We should leave." I say hurriedly. "Your parents must be waiting."

Kai nods and we walk out of the dorm. He walks a step behind me.

When we reach the parking lot, he grabs my shoulders and turns me around. I glance at him with questioning eyes.

"Don't look at me like that. It makes this even harder." There is a wistfulness, helplessness in his voice.

"I don't understand."

"Ofcourse you don't." He sighs. Then he puts on a smile. "You look.. I can't find the suitable word. Magical.. you look as beautiful as you are from inside."

And it hits. I can confidently say this is the best compliment I've ever gotten. As beautiful as I am from inside.. I will forever remember these words.

I am too stunned to say anything in return and he doesn't wait for me to. He unlocks the car and we both get inside.

Just then he receives a call. It is his mom.

"What right now... is he fine... are you sure I shouldn't come as well?... okay then... take care mom and don't panic okay?" He seems a little bit stressed as he ends the call.

"What happened?"

"My brother got in a minor accident. Mom says the doctor said he just broke his arm and a few stitches on his forehead... God, that careless punk." He says more to himself than me.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "He will be fine."

He takes my hand from his shoulder and laces it with his. "There will be no family dinner tonight." He tells.