16.

In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take.

••••

5 days later

It's official. Mr Peterson won't let us survive until the end of the term. He will kill us with projects and practicals. And tomorrow I have a shift at the bookstore.

Becca groans. "We have an experiment tomorrow and I haven't completed the practical in the file." She lets out a loud breath. "I will have to go take information from that bitch Hayley."

I chuckle. "Come on. Hayley's not that bad."

She narrows her eyes at me. "Oh yeah? Say that when she tries to hit on your boyfriend."

I laugh again. "Go now. It's not long before dinner."

Once Becca leaves, I'm left alone with my psychology book lying open in front of me. It's not long before I am dragged to my imaginary world and I blank out.

A slamming of door brings me back to earth. Not ours. The room next to our. Lucas's team must've lost the practise match today, I assume, and shake my head.

Another noise, louder, startles me. Another thud follows. My goodness he will vandalise the room. But why isn't Kai stopping him?

I decide to let the guys sort this out and ignore it. But when a clank like that of a glass breaking resonates, I get up on my feet and put on my slippers.

I knock, more like bang on the door. "Lucas! Kai! What's happening? Open the door."

"Go away Elena!" Kai shouts from inside. His voice is raw and rough and totally unlike Kai's usual honey like tone.

Something is seriously wrong. Another loud thud rings through the room. More and more people are coming out of their rooms now and murmuring.

I quickly grab their room's keys from Becca's drawer and open their door.

A gasp escapes from my mouth. But before more people can sneak a look, I enter the room and shut it behind me.

The room is a mess. Kai's favourite Chinese flower vase is lying broken on the floor along with the study lamp and some books. His bed is titled and pushed into the wall. More like kicked.

Kai himself is sitting on the bed, his face in his hands. I notice blood near his right foot. Oh god. He must've hurt himself. His hands are also bear self inflicted cuts. There is no Lucas.

He glances up at me and I freeze at the intensity his eyes hold. They are glassy and filled with a million emotions. None of them pleasant.

"Oh Kai." I say softly.

"Please go Elena. I can't bear you looking at me when I'm like this. Just leave." His voice cracks and he burries his face inside his hands again.

I open his wardrobe and take out the first aid kit. I know his room as well as I know mine now.

I sit down near his legs and touch his right foot. He pulls it away from me.