11.

"None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we really are."

▪▪▪▪

"Where are your medicines Elena?" Chris asks once the emotional episode ends. I bite my lip. "Elena?" She stresses my name which gets me everytime.

"I threw them away." I tell.

"What in the world... Eleanor Lovisa have you truly lost your mind!?" She shouts which I was kind of expecting.

"I had a fight with Kai this morning and I thought I would be alright without them but.." I try to explain my foolish answer.

"What will happen if she does not take her medicine?" Kai asks.

"Disaster. She will keep on falling asleep everywhere. You were lucky it was just a sidewalk this time Eleanor and not the road!" She paces the room in frustration.

"She can fall asleep on the road?" Becca repeats in horror.

Kai glares at me. "I can't believe you would do something so foolish!" Great now he is shouting at me as well.

"I'm sorry. I know it was idiotic." I say meekly.

"Now I'll have to search for the medical prescription that should be somewhere in my closet and buy the medicines ASAP. Great. And the medical store is kilometers away. How will I even get there?" She is still scolding me.

"I'll take you." Lucas volunteers. "Kai I'm taking your car mate." He tells and Kai nods.

"Do not leave her alone even for a second now Kai. Becca you too. Until she is back on her medication she's a walking catastrophe. You understand?" Chris orders as she puts on her shoes and prepares to go.

"Yes." Kai and Becca answer together like loyal and dutiful soldiers. It's comical.

Lucas and Chris leaves and I am now  stuck with two full time bodyguards.

"So.. while we are at it.. why don't you explain about Narcolepsy in detail. Internet gets a little tricky sometimes." Becca says.

I sigh. "It's a sleeping disorder and what part of brain causes it is still unknown. It's fairly recently recognised. There are two levels and unfortunately I'm on the 1st which is the extreme one."

Kai listens attentively and it's almost like he feels my pain. It's comforting.

"Started showing symptoms when I was 5. It's basically feeling sleepy most of the time of the day. Like you are stuck in a world between sleep and being awake. I used to hallucinate too. Got diagnosed when I was six. Doctors instantly put me on medications. They helped a lot. I was no longer always sleepy and cataplexy attacks got less too."

"I dont understand. How is you falling on the ground suddenly be called sleeping. Isn't it more like fainting?" Kai asks.

That's a general doubt. I was expecting this. "It is kind of like fainting but it is indeed sleeping. Normal people, after 60 to 90 minutes of falling asleep get into REM sleep which prevents your body from acting out your dreams. In case of people suffering from Narcolepsy, our brain suddenly, anytime, anywhere induces REM sleep which makes our body movements stop making it seem like fainting when actually we have fallen asleep."