Chapter 8/ Unexpected Visits

قَدْ نَعْلَمُ إِنَّهُ لَيَحْزُنُكَ الَّذِي يَقُولُونَ ۖ فَإِنَّهُمْ لَا يُكَذِّبُونَكَ وَلَٰكِنَّ الظَّالِمِينَ بِآيَاتِ اللَّهِ يَجْحَدُونَ - 6:33

We know that you, [O Muhammad], are saddened by what they say. And indeed, they do not call you untruthful, but it is the verses of Allah that the wrongdoers reject.

_._._._

Well, well, now what do we have here? Mr. Aarib standing inside my house, and be that unannounced, especially after what happened last night? I need a minute to process this in my head. Maybe more than a minute.

"What are you doing here?" I raise a brow, somewhat trying to look less shocked than the slightly fast beating of my heart.

He's taken back. His mouth opens but nothing comes out while he maintains are eye contact. I know I should look away, but my rational thoughts literally shoo away when he is around me.

"Well?" I prompt, hating how I sound less convincing at maintaining my calm.

He clears his throat. "I came here to discuss something important with—"

"Um, who the heck are you and what are you doing in my house talking to my sister?"

My eyes snap to Azaan who doesn't hesitate a least in passing glares to Aarib. My brothers', especially Azaan can be pretty protective of me sometimes, especially when he detects danger or suspicion. In addition, I am assuming he thinks Aarib is an evident danger considering he isn't backing away from my brother's intense gaze or providing him much needed answers.

So, I muster the confidence within me and clarify, "Azaan, he is my classmate. We are paired together and have to work on a project together. . ."

Azaan looks pissed.

"He was just here for the project," I provide further uncertain information because I myself don't know why Aarib decided to show up. Why could he be here, though? My first guess is to study. . .and second to apologize. Rare in his case, but I am hopeful.

"Actually," Aarib grits without taking his eyes off my brother, "I am here to discuss something important with her."

"Okaayy," I pipe in, blocking my brother's view of sight by appearing in front of him. He takes a long moment to cut his eyes back to mine, but when he does, I almost sob from relief. "I will talk to him. It's my fault. He doesn't know it's Aadil's wedding today." It was obvious Aarib already got an idea by my lavish dressing and the decorations that there was some event going on.

"Not in the room. The lounge," he warns.

Cliché. "Fine, as you wish," I agree, battling with the urge to roll my eyes. To convince my pissed brother some more, I nod my head as well.

When Azaan disappears inside his bedroom down the corridor, slamming his door shut, I recoil from the loud bang but at the same time let out a breath.

Slowly, I turn around. Only to find Aarib already staring at me as if. . .as if he is very impatiently waiting for something. Waiting for answers.

I cross my arms. "Talk. You have exactly one minute and the clock is ticking."

He huffs out a snort. "Talk? I beg your pardon, but just who do you think you're talking to?"

I give him a are-you-serious-look? "You really want me to say that aloud? There are a lot of people in this house at the moment. Should I really scream you are MAFIA?"