Chapter 14/Consequences

Aarib's POV

Stupid idiotic fool.

That's how I would describe Haya.

I get it that I am not her first choice of a husband, but does that stupid woman not get how ruthless these mafia are? How cruel they can be? They wouldn't hurt me (I think),  but they won't hesitate in putting a bullet in Haya's chest.

I shiver at that thought, a new form of fury awakening inside me.

"I have to say, she's a very brave girl," Shehriyar, one of my only three friends comments, taking a long drag from the cigarette.

I don't make friends in high school. I don't trust anyone in my high school. You could call them friends or snakes, doesn't really make any difference. I met Shehriyar, his cousin Hatim, and a guy Sheru at a fighting club five years ago when the rebellious side of me had awakened. I was really into fighting back then, and although I still like it now, how the rush of adrenaline makes me feel buzzed, I have more important things to do in life.

Like, save Haya.

Hatim grins wickedly at me from across the room where he is perched on the sofa. "Man, you're in love. I can see the softness in your eyes at the mention of her name," he mocks, making everyone laugh.

"Piss off." I roll my eyes. They continue to snicker for another few seconds and I wait for them to be done before saying the real thing for which I invited them over today. "You're gonna be her body guards from now on."

The three of them get serious in a heartbeat.

"You're kidding, right?" Hatim stares at me with his big brown eyes, looking wolfish. "We get hired to guard—"

"So? I am hiring you. For Haya."

"But dude, have you even talked to her about this?" Sheriyar pipes in. "Is she okay with all of this?"

My temper hanging by a litteral thread. Would snap any second.

"Are you worried about the money?" I snap. "I'd pay you double than what you guys earn through one fight."

"You know it's not about the money," Hatim scoffs, rolling his eyes. "And do you really think we'd take money from you? Haya is technically your wife. She's definitely going to give you a hard time before actually agreeing to it. I'm just saying you should ask her first. Having two bodyguards with her all the time? I mean, man, what's she gonna tell her fam?"

Leaning forward, I grab the cigarette from Shehriyar, taking in a lungful. "She doesn't have to tell her family anything. When she's somewhere with her brothers, there's no need for protection. I mean, they should be able to protect her." Right?

"Your brother has guns."

"And he's also very good in hand to hand combat," Hatim adds in.

"Are you guys here to help me out or add more to the plate?" I mutter in anger. "That's not encouraging at all FYI."

"Talk to her." Hatim gets up and walks to me. "Convince her that she's being irrational and there's no way out of this. Tell her to stop being such a—"

I warn him with my eyes.

Instead of being offended, he smirks and holds up his hand in surrender. "To stop being such a nice girl." He laughs and runs away but not before I have thrown a cushion at him. "Can't wait for your wedding!" he calls out from the kitchen.

"Isn't Sheru taking a very long time in the bathroom?" I frown, remembering my third friend excused himself to the loo twenty minutes ago.

Shehriyar snickers clicking imaginary buttons in the air above his head. "Maybe he fell asleep or something."