Chapter 11/seen a ghost

Haya's POV

It was done. Oh my God! My oldest brother was finally married!

I don't know what was causing this rush of adrenal in my blood. . .the excitement of having Maira live with us, or the thought I was next to tie the knots. Technically it was Azaan's turn, but I have this sick feeling it's going to be me.

We are all in the living room. Me, Maira, mom, my brothers, some of my relatives from Mom's side, and this Zehrish girl I just don't like. Every time she looks at me, it's as if she wants to claw at me. Also, she's undeniably artificial with her fake nails and fake eye lashes. And sometimes her accent too.

Everyone's getting pictures taken at one corner of the room with the newly wed couple who are blushing like crazy. I shake my head, wondering if they could act at least a little mature.

Anddd sitting across from me, examining her nails with both interest and concern is Zehrish. Per usual she has her long caramel hair in smooth curls spread over her shoulders, and her trademark pink lip gloss coating her lips. She's known for hitting the gym more than normal people, thus she has a very toned body and gushes that she would not have any problem finding a suitable husband for her because in her eyes nobody could reject her.

I almost roll my eyes.

Almost a few seconds later she gasps lightly, which causes me to look up in bafflement.

Her eyes are fixed on something—or someone above my head. Her posture straightens suddenly and a bright smile is being put on display for. . .who? I frown at her, slowly turning to see what's the matter.

His eyes connect with me before I even register what is happening.

Aarib stares back at me with a look I can't decipher. Those pools of blue widen a fraction at me or whatever surprise he feels before he clears his throat and I hurriedly get up from my seat.

Being around Aarib does something to me. I am not sure what it is, but it could be somewhere between a longing and wanting to be as far away from him as possible. Sometimes. . .he gazes at me. Not just a peek or once look, but he actually full on observes me silently. I don't exactly count that as something I personally prefer. . .for many reasons.

"You came," I smile.

He almost smiles back. Almost. "I couldn't disrespect your mom, now, could I."

Right. He's here for mom. Not me. I feel like I would need that reminder a lot.

Aarib looks around, taking in the chaotic mess my family is being right now with all the noise and crowd they're causing in the living room.

"Here, sit. I'll notify my fam," I chirp, motioning a hand at the spot I was sitting a few minutes ago.

He gives me a nod. No smile. No emotion. Just a formal nod. Takes a seat on the sofa while I stand next to him as if I'm his wife.

Wife? Ugh. I need to calm down.

"We haven't met. I saw you before as well," comes Zehrish's too excited voice as comes closer to Aarib and extends a perfect manicured hand to him.

Aarib, the gentleman that he is, gets up. . .but doesn't take her hand. He puts them in his pockets and acts like he didn't notice the physical greeting that awaits him.

"Selam," he says back, then turns to me. "Can you show me to the loo?"

Wait a second. . .

What just happened?

Did he. . .did he actually ignore the pretty perfect Zehrish and acknowledge me? ME? Okay, although the acknowledgment was for the directions of the bathroom, but still!