Chapter 23/Enduring pain

Aarib's POV

The rush of adrenaline was a really familiar feeling to me now. Almost like a best friend. Even now, as I unlocked the door and opened it wide, I could feel the thrashing of my heart in my chest, and the guilt settling inside of me again for what happened to Haya because of me.

As the door flew open, my eyes widened in shock at who was standing before me.

Areesha.

My sister.

"Hi. Selam." She smiled big and bright, her warm deep brown eyes shining with affection.

I couldn't speak. I was most definitely taken aback by her sudden visit, which seemed to also render me speechless. Then suddenly a sick thought crossed my mind.

"Are you okay? What happened? Are you hurt?" I took her hand and pulled her into the room and then locking the door again. From what I could tell, she didn't look hurt. In fact, she looked cheerful. . .happy, as she completely ignored my worry and held out a hand to Haya.

"Selam, Haya. I am Areesha," my sister chirped, shaking her small hand with Haya's. I watched realization dawn on my wife, and a smile lit her face.

"Walaikum Assalam, Areesha, how are you?" Haya grinned.

Baffled, is how I will describe my state.

Why do these two women look like they've been best friends since a very long time? Grinning and smiling as if they were reunited after ages of separation.

"I'm good. I had to meet my brother's wife. And I know I already like you," Areesha gushed, tucking a strand of her short, purple hair behind her ear. She really couldn't just settle with blonde. I shook my head at her funky hair color.

"How'd you know where I was, and who dropped you off?" I raised a brow in suspicion. My blood went cold at the possibility. . . "Please don't tell me you came here alone," I groaned.

"I didn't come here alone, obviously. There's a car waiting for me outside the hotel. Feroze told me about your marriage, so did you really think I wasn't gonna come meet Haya?"

My brows pulled together. "So, who did you come here with?"

She gave me a 'duh' look. "Feroze, you dumb person. He never lets me travel alone. Even with his guards." I opened my mouth to tell her she couldn't just bring Feroze here with her, but she turned towards Haya—who looked like she just saw a ghost—and pulled her in a hug. "I know what my brother did to you—Feroze—and I apologize to you for his behavior. I know a lame apology won't do justice to what you had to go through, but I am really hoping this won't affect us. I would still like to be friends with you."

Haya peered up at me. I gave her a small smile. She awkwardly patted Areesha's back, and I wanted to laugh at this situation. Instead, I bit my lip and looked away, stifling even the tiny chuckle that could ruin Haya's mood. I wanted my wife to get along my sister, know her pretty well.

After a few seconds Haya pulled back and I saw something cross her eyes. Understanding, maybe?

"What happened wasn't your fault. Why would it affect our relation?"

My sister shrugged her small shoulders. "Sometimes people are like that. And considering I don't know you, I can't really tell if we're on good terms or not."

Confusion shone in Haya's brown eyes. "I don't hate you if that's what you're trying to know."

"I'm glad." Areesha smiled.

Okay, enough with the deep talks. "Ladies," I cleared my throat. Haya raised her intelligently curious eyes at me while Areesha turned around. She reminded me a lot of my mother with the same jet black hair they shared and the forest green eyes that reminded me of gardens with blossoming flowers. "I have somewhere I need to be right now. But. . .Areesha you can't be here with Haya while I am out. Feroze is waiting for you and I don't trust him. You can come back later."