Chapter 24/Vulnerable

Haya

The sky was blanketed by dark, gloomy clouds, blocking the sun rays from shining down upon us. Something about clouds always made me wonder if heavy rain would pour down on us any second, or when the sky would clear up before the ground got wet.

It had been two hours since Aarib left, and my patience was running out very fast as I oh so patiently waited for my dear husband. I was growing tired and hungry, and because of my clothing I couldn't even order food or call Allesandro to get me some as I didn't have his number.

Sighing heavily, I pushed away from the window and wandered around in the room, a punching bag catching my attention. I marched over to it bare feet, and bent down, grabbing the worn, battered gloves and frowning when crimson caught my eyes.

Blood?

The puzzles clicked into place the next second.

So that's why his knuckles were all bruised, beads of blood dried on the skin. I shook my head at Aarib's carelessness, I mean, what if he got an infection in his wounds? This man never cares about his own well-being.

I brought my hand up to the punching bag, touching my fingers to the soft leather and closed my eyes imagining Aarib beating the crap out of it. A grin crept up my face, a soft chuckle escaping my lips. I never thought I'd ever marry a man so callous and. . . so exceptionally different. To the world, he was just a young boy who was ruthless, mean, but to me, he was just Aarib.

I opened my eyes—a scream built up inside me as hands fell on my shoulders. Dread and horror coursed through me so raw and pure that I spun around and gasped, but my gasp was muffled when a hand covered my mouth whilst I was being pushed back against the punching bag.

Twinkling blue eyes locked eyes with my own very wide, terrified ones. They shone with laughter, piercing me to the spot and making my heart almost jump out of my chest.

"I like seeing you like this," he breathed out, his face inches away from mine. "Helpless, and vulnerable."

I pushed Aarib's hand away but didn't move from the spot. My legs felt like jelly, and I was afraid I'd fall any second.

"Don't worry, babe. I'll catch you before you fall."

I said that aloud?

"You're horrible," I whispered, my heart still beating crazy in my chest. I could feel the adrenaline in my blood stream. It made my senses heightened, and I felt this weird buzz inside me.

For a mere second I thought Feroze or his father had got to me. . .the horror was terrible, almost giving me a heart attack.

"I'm detestable," he shot back, a challenge lighting up his eyes.

He was trying to push my buttons, make me frustrated.

"You shouldn't creep up on me like this. Or anyone, for that matter."

He bit his lip, clearly trying to hold back a chuckle. "And why's that?"

I huffed out an aggravated sigh. Did he really need to ask me that? After all that happened?

"Because. . ."

"Because. . .?" he pushed.

I peered at him through under my lashes, my tongue darting out to wet my too dry lips. His eyes shot down to my lips but he instantly looked back up at my eyes, and I could see something flash in them. Something strange. 

"Because it scared the crap out of me," I muttered, placed my palms on his chest and pushed him away.

He didn't budge an inch.