Chapter 16/Friday night

Haya's POV

"Aarib?" I mumble all of a sudden, a dark emotion taking hold of me.

"Mhmm?"

Just ask it. Just ask it.

"Why do you want to marry me?"

He looks shocked, as if never in a million years did he expect his question from me. Lost somewhere in his own thoughts, he takes his sweet time to feed my curiosity.

Instead when he finally does say something, it's not the answer I want to hear.

"Go inside, Haya. And please, listen to what I say," he murmurs softly, no anger in his tone.

Right in this moment something changes between us. I don't know what it is, and suddenly I am back in my room dreaming what I did before.

It was a nightmare. Aarib was in it. He was chasing me while I ran away from him as fast my legs would carry me, laughing, giggling. I was so breathless, and every two seconds I would peer behind me to find Aarib getting more close to catching me. I knew he was purposely running slow. There was no way I could run faster than him. I could hear his beautiful laughter that warmed my chest, the way his grin made my heart skip a beat.

And then suddenly we were somewhere else, at an abandoned building. And I was screaming because men in black suits had tied Aarib to a pole while they mercilessly beat him until blood coated most of his face.

Then I heard Feroze's voice from behind. He was laughing at my misery. He knew hurting Aarib hurt me more than any bullet could.

"You could have saved him all this pain," he had said to me, inching closer. I was rooted to the spot, hearing Aarib screaming behind me, hearing the blows he was taking because of me. "You could have saved him. Just by marrying either one of us. But you didn't. And now he will pay for it while you wither in all the guilt which will one day eat you up."

"Hey, where'd you go?" Aarib's voice pulls me out of my memory.

How can I be so ruthless?

I could save him all this trouble. . .just by a marriage.

"Nowhere," my reply is quick. "I'll try to do as you say. You can go home now. My family will be here any minute now." I step back into my house. My chest hurts. I almost close the door but something inside of me prevents me from doing it.

I need to say it. I don't know what's suddenly gotten into me. Maybe because the dream is still fresh in my head? I have no damn idea. I just. . .i have to say it.

"I'd listen to you. Because I can't take risks."

His smile almost brings me to tears. It's so genuine. So delicate to me. "Good girl."

"Because I care about you, is why I will listen. Because the thought of losing you knocks all the oxygen out of me." I add this in because. . .I have no idea why. "Don't think there is any other reason why I am being so cooperative," I add again, just in case. I don't want him to get the wrong idea like I am in love with or something.

Though I am totally falling for him.

Totally.

Mischief and playfulness dances in those stupid pretty blue eyes. I really need to stop getting lost in them. Like, seriously. His eyes are like the ocean on a sunny day, shining, reflecting the light everywhere. Just as it's easy to get lost in the ocean, I drown in his eyes.

Yes, I'm that cheesy.

And a total teenager.

"Yes, of course, because what other reason could there be, right?" he challenges back.