Chapter Three

~*~

~*~

The sun's already set, and she couldn't get any sleep. She tosses and turns in her feathered bed, and having had enough of her own restlessness, throws the blanket covers off, and heads outside, grabbing her boots, and shawl as she steps into the sand. Her hair is immediately lifted up by the harsh wind as soon as she steps out, and her hand instinctively reaches up to pat it back down. It's funny how it's so hot in this barren wasteland during the day, but so freezing at night.

She hears electricity cracking nearby, and wraps her arms around her torso as she approaches Kuiil.

"Couldn't sleep?" Kuiil asks her over the noise.

"No," she sighs, and wrapping her shawl around her torso to keep herself warm. 

"What's troubling you?" Somehow, he always just knew there was something wrong.

She recalls the gunfire and explosions that she and Kuiil heard before they left for home. Since it's nearly nightfall and the Mandalorian isn't back yet, her thoughts had immediately came up with the worst case scenarios.

"Do you think we should have gone after him, Kuiil?" She asks hesitantly.

"I thought you had faith that he can handle the mission himself," Kuiil raises his voice over the harsh noises from the electrical box.

"I know, but--" she stops herself. She glances over at the dark purple, and blue sky with great reluctance. "It shouldn't take that long of a mission, should it?"

"Perhaps he's dead," Kuiil says it in such a nonchalant manner that she had to stare up at him twice, just to make sure she heard him right. 

"What?" she asks, startled.

"You said it yourself, didn't you?" Kuiil reminds her gently. "If someone doesn't come back from a mission, they're either dead or --"

"Captured," she finishes. She knew she should've stuck around a little longer. She stands upright, and starts heading back towards the tent to gather up her things, "I'm going back to the encampment, Kuiil!"

"Don't bother," she hears a familiar voice from somewhere nearby, and tenses as she whirls around and stares right at the Mandalorian. "I'm here."

"You're back," she says lamely. She hears a soft, childlike coo beside him, and raises her brows. What in the Galaxy was that?

"It's okay," he nods as he approaches the two of them. "you don't have to act that excited to see me."

"I'm not," she says. She nods at the strange contraption floating in the air besides him, "but it took you long enough."