Chapter Eighteen

~*~

~*~

They traveled the rest of the day in silence, something she normally hated, and from the knowing looks that Kuiil sent her way, he remembered. Like Greef said, night came fast, and they were all huddled around a campfire in silence as they ate. She wanted desperately for someone to talk, or make polite conversation, she didn't know how much longer she could stand the guard's wary stares on them. It was bad enough she had to drag the conversation with Din, who practically hated talking.

She notices that Din is the only one not eating amongst the group and glances over at him in concern. According to Cara, he'd barely eaten anything. Probably to protect his identity from the group.

"You never told me your name," Greef adresses her, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Forgive me, if I don't trust you with it," she glares at him.

"Fair enough," he grunts, nodding. "Mine's --"

"Greef," she interrupts him, and at his look of shock, nods at Din, "Mando told me before you shot me."

"Still not going to let that go, huh?"

"Nope," she shrugs.

"I'm guessing you're still mad at me for that too?" Greef turns to Din, who'd been silent during their conversation.

"Yup," Din replies, and continues to watch Kuiil feed the child.

"I guess the little bugger is a carnivore," Greef gestures over to the child that's settled in between Din, and Kuiil. "Never seen anything like it. They were ready to pay a king's ransom for that thing."

"Let's go over the plan again," Din suggests.

"We go to the common house," Greef explains, "we join him at the table,  show the client the bait, and you kill him."

"Tell me about the reinforcements."

"They're all ex-Empire," Greef repeats what he said earlier with a heavy sigh, and turns his gaze to the campfire. "As soon as they lose their paycheck, poof, they all scatter."

"And if they don't?"

"They will," Greef's sounds so sure of herself.

She frowns. He makes it sound so easy. There's so much potential for something to go wrong in that plan. She glances over at Cara, who'd been staring at them as she ate with a distrustful expression on her face. Cara nods at her. Maybe she thought the same.

"That's not good enough," maybe Din realizes this too.

"If, for argument's sake," Greef grunts,  "a few of them don't realize that I'm their best path to alternative employment, and they elect to act impulsively, then these three fine Guild hunters, along with that battle hardened shock trooper will cut down anyone who bucks."