Chapter Twenty Two

~*~

~*~

"You okay?"

Dessa sighs heavily at the question, and tilts her head back; pressing it against her chair. She should have expected this; he's been asking it non stop ever since they left Nevarro, and she knows exactly why. Okay, maybe 'non stop' is a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure did feel like he kept asking it way too many times for her liking.

In retrospect, she should be gloating about this. Din's never normally one to start conversations willingly, and she's not sure whether to be proud of him or annoyed.

"I'm fine," she answers, and winces because she can hear the exhaustion in her own voice. It's not that she's tired of being with him and the child, she's just tired of remembering. 

"You sure?"

"I said I'm fine," she repeats herself with a slightly raised voice that makes Din turn to stare at her from his own seat. Alright, maybe she'd been a little too snappy with him, but in her defense she's annoyed that they have the same conversation over and over again. 

"You should get some more sleep," he comments, and turns back around to look over the control board.

Now she's just plain annoyed because he's right, and she hates it when he's right. Sleep just doesn't come easily to her anymore, and she never knows how he falls asleep so quickly. In fact, she envies the ability.

"I know, I know," she says. "It's just ..."

Every time she sleeps she dreams about Kuiil.

Kuiil...

Dessa presses her lips in a thin line. She never told Din about this; he already has too much on his plate trying to look for the child's own kind, but somehow, she has a strong feeling that he already knows, because she always catches him staring at her whenever she got too caught up in her own head.

"Would you feel better if the kid was in the room with you?" Din's muted voice brings her out of her thoughts, and soothes her ears. Sometimes, it surprises her how soft he can be, especially since she's seen him fight, and how quick tempered he got whenever things didn't exactly go to plan.

She glances at the child again whose ears twitch at being mentioned and can't help but grin. "Yeah, I would," she agrees with him.

"Get some sleep," Din says.

"Okay, fine, fine, bossy," she scoffs, and pokes at his helmet as she gets up from her chair. She knows it always bothers him when she does that, which is exactly why she made the effort. Her back is hurting her anyway from sitting too long. "Ready to get some sleep like the mean Mandalorian ordered us to do?"

She laughs softly when Din turns around at her, and probably has an unimpressed expression underneath that helmet of his.

The child merely coos in response. She wonders if it even understands what she's saying sometimes. They've set up a little cot for her and the child to sleep in the living quarters next to the cargo hold. Sleeping there wasn't exactly comfortable, but she can't complain. It's better than being anywhere near sand, that's for damn sure.