Chapter Nineteen

~*~

~*~

The group of four were stopped by the two stormtroopers guarding the entrance into town.

"Chain code?" The stormtrooper on her left stands upright and approaches rhem.

"I have a gift for the boss," Greef points to the two of them.

"Chain code," he repeats himself. As he glances over the card Greef gives him, he says, "I'll give you twenty credits for the helmet."

Dessa side glances Din in her alarm.

"Not a chance, that helmet is going on my wall," Greef laughs humorlessly. He's the only one that's  laughing.

"On your wall?" Din whispers to Greef dryly.

"Just go with it," Greef whispers under his breath,but loud enough that both Dessa and Din catch it.

Dessa glances over at Cara who's also struggling to hide her smirk despite the tension. Cara must have overheard it too. It isn't until they slowly walk into town that Dessa feels like she can breathe normally again, though her heart is still pounding fast against her chest, because they were still being watched by troopers.

Dessa does not like being back in this town again, especially now they had stormtroopers on ever corner watching their every movement. They reach the back of the town, back to the place where she and Din rescued the child.

"You said four," Cara hisses at Greef, glaring, "there are more than four stormtroopers!"

"Four guarding the client, more in town," Greef defends himself. "Things got really heated when Dessa and Mando over there crashed the safehouse."

"Slip him his blaster," Cara demands.

"Not yet," Greef says, ignoring the frowns sent his way. "Here we are."

Greef leads them inside the familiar building. There were, in fact, four stormtroopers inside, hust like Greef said there would be despite the army 9f them outside, and an old man sat at a booth hidden from their view until he stands up.

"You see? Four," he tells Cara who merely frowns. "Look what I brought you as promised."

She has never met the old man face to face before. They never ran into him that night, just the scrawny doctor. Speaking of that scrawny doctor, where was he? She frowns as her eyes dart around the room. There's no sign of him. Just stormtroopers, and droids.

"What exquisite craftmanship." He spoke smoothly, and calmly.

The old man reaches for the beskar armor and Dessacfinds herself moving forward slightly in front of Din, but Cara roughly grabs her shoulder, and stops her. The old man notices the movement, raises his brows, but says nothing about it. She wouldn't be able to do anything anyway with the cuffs on her wrists, and no blaster on her person.