Chapter Twelve

~*~

~*~

The sunsets on Tatooine is definitely a sight to see, she'll begrudgingly admit that much. The two suns were just above the horizon, and the sky is turning a dark purple and orange. Still no sign of Mando or the slimeball. Her eyes occasionally wander over towards the door where they'd left. 

"Hey, take a breather, will you?" Peli asks, startling her out of her thoughts. "Relax, and play a game with us. We got nothin' to worry about now that the kid's finally asleep."

"Anyone who doesn't come back from a mission after a day might be either dead or captured," Dessa recalls what Kuiil used to say to her whenever they had a visitor on their planet that didn't come back to their farm.

"Anyone ever tell you that you worry too much?"

She stops in her tracks. Being in the desert again reminds her of Kuiil, and she doesn't like it because she misses him more than she thought she would.

"Yeah," she says softly. "they have."

"Well, whoever they were, they were right," Peli says, matching her tone.

"I'm so sorry for troubling you with all this," she apologizes.

"Don't sweat it," Peli dismisses her apology with a wave, "It's not every day you meet a Mandalorian, you know."

No, you don't, she mentally agrees with her. She wonders if all Mandalorians were anything like her nameless friend.  Before she knows it, it's nearly sunset again, and he still isn't back.

"Something's wrong, I'm going after them," she tells Peli, who starts protesting, and walking after her.

And she had no idea how she's going after him. Crossing the desert is dangerous on foot without proper materials, and she had no idea how to operate a speedbike. Kriff!

"There's no need, sweetheart," the man from before smiles as he approaches the two women. He's alone. Double Kriff.

"Where's Mando?" She asks with worry, stepping in front of Peli just in case. The feeling of dread's come back. She knew she should have gone after him. She knew she --

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about him," the man smirks. "He's getting what's coming to him."

"He tried to help you get into your stupid Guild!"

"Relax, he's coming back soon, I only left him there in that barren desert," he rolls his eyes, glaring over at the Razor Crest, "where's the kid?"

"What kid?" She asks innocently as she reaches for the tranquilizer in her belt.

"That ain't going to work on me, sweetheart," he takes a menacing step forward.  "Where's the kid?"