I Love You

RPG AU
This was requested by someone, but that's all I'm saying ;)
But there will be another part, so don't worry about cliffhangers.
Thanks to everyone that has even read this story, I hope you like this (though again I haven't read it over and my autocorrect is...stupid at the best of times so bare with)

Stephen yelled triumphantly as his blade (well, it was Daniel's, but he stole it) stabbed deep into the slime, diving into one of its eyes. The slime (or that's what it was supposed to be) shrieked and spring backwards, recovering.

The slime wasn't really a slime, more of a fusion with a slime and a porcupine – sharp, long blades stuck out of its back and sprouted from its fingernails, which would be a problem, but Stephen wasn't going to let it happen. He and Daniel had rained on it with endless attacks, not letting it get an edgeways, as Hosuh supplied them with stamina that would keep them going.

It was really ugly too, which made Stephen want to stab it more.

"Hosuh now!" Stephen yelled, jumping backwards. Daniel three a dagger at the slime hybrid, distracting it from the silver haired, who was beginning to cast a fire spell.

Stephen remembered when Hosuh first learnt that spell, and smiled slightly despite the circumstances. It took almost a year to get it right – never enough to kill anything, but enough to knock it out for a few hours.

Typical Hosuh, always the pacifist.

Daniel was now shouting curses at the slime thing, waving his sword in the air. The slime's eyes were all fixed on the green haired, narrowing into slits.

A fire ball appeared over Hosuh's staff, and the silver-haired held it out in front of him, panting. For a moment, as the fire ball shot through the sky, Stephen thought they had done it – he could practically see them collecting those cool spines that he wanted to desperately stab someone with, and he could see Hosuh fanboying over the healing properties of the red slime, and Daniel shouting profanities at anything he could see. He even began to smile, almost calling out a victory.

But they had badly underestimated the hybrid.

It was too late for anyone to do anything about – a black eye swivelled in their direction, and the fireball was swatted away like a fly. Daniel stopped shouting and pulled out his sword, and Stephen clutched his own, running towards Hosuh.

Hosuh, who had his own spell heading straight for him.

The silver-haired raised his staff in attempt to block the fire, and it worked for the most part, the wood holding as a sturdy defence against the spell. He saw as Hosuh's face changed quickly from relief to fear, and for a moment he didn't know why.

But then he smelt wood burning. Smoke was gathering around the aged staff, coiling around Hosuh's arms and legs. Hosuh yelled and dived to the side as the wood combusted, ashes fluttering to the ground. Hosuh only just escaped the same fate, his palms burnt and bloody.

"Hosuh!" Stephen yelled as Dan began the tedious fight again. Stephen glanced over and caught Daniel's eye. Daniel looked over at Hosuh and gave a short nod. He could spare a few minutes without Stephen.

"Hosuh." Stephen, without further encouragement, ran over to his fallen friend, who was kneeling on the ground, his hands pressed against his chest. He was gasping, staring at the charred remains of wood.

"How bad?" Stephen asked, prying Hosuh's arms away from his chest. Hosuh winced, extending his fingers.

"Jesus..."

Hosuh's hands were worse than he thought – covered in blisters and burns, there was no way Hosuh could hold a feather, let alone the hard steel of a sword.

"Stephen...it's gone." Hosuh whispered. He apparently had zoned out, focusing more on the ashes slowly getting blown away by the breeze.

A loud, painful yell came from behind Stephen, signalling his time was up. All his words of comfort died on his tongue; instead he grabbed his sword, placing a hand on Hosuh's shoulder. Hosuh looked up, eyes wide. Some of his hair had also been burnt away, leaving it uneven and charred.

"Stay here." Stephen ordered. Hosuh shook his head.

"No, Stephen! I –"

Stephen cupped Hosuh's cheek, cutting him off.

"Just stay here and don't die." He asked, slinging his sword over his shoulder. "Or I'll stab you."

"Stephen!" Hosuh cried out but Stephen didn't answer, rushing to Daniel's side, who was currently trying to slice one of the slime's tentacles. Stephen finished the job and the hybrid shrieked in rage.

"'Bout time you showed up." Dan joked, dodging a spine heading his way. His dodge was unusually slow, and Stephen noticed that his friend's leg was trembling, stained with red.

"How's Hosuh?" Daniel asked, ducking as the slime aimed another blow at him. He stabbed upwards, sighing his sword into its flesh.

"His hands are burnt. Badly." Stephen sliced one of the slime's eyes. The slime grabbed his sword in retaliation, throwing it into the forest. Stephen cursed, pulling out his dagger. "He can't hold a sword in the state he's in."

Daniel huffed, stumbling over his injured leg. Before he could answer, the hybrid grabbed him with one of its tentacles, pinning him to the ground.

"Daniel!" Stephen shouted, throwing his dagger. The dagger missed, digging into the ground. Dan yelled as the grip grew tighter around his waist.

"Hang on –" Stephen yelped as a tentacles wrapped around his ankle, tossing him into the air. He heard Hosuh's panicked yell, and briefly caught sight of his desperate face before he was slammed into the ground, groaning. He grunted as Daniel was thrown on top of him, coughing.

"Stephen! Dan!" Stephen looked up, seeing Hosuh rubbing towards them.

"Hosuh no!" Daniel yelled, struggling to rise to his feet. Stephen, with a full sense of dread, looked up to see a claw full of spines raised above them. The remaining sword was only a few metres away, and Dan was already reaching for it, but his hands were too slow. The hybrid was too fast.

Stephen wanted to laugh at the irony of it all – they were only meant to be hunting for actual slimes, so they could sell and use their jelly for healing properties (Hosuh's idea). And now they were going to get cut up by one. Just great.

Stephen was about to close his eyes, waiting for his death, when a shadow cast over him and Dan. He looked up at his saviour, eyes widening.

"Hosuh no!"

Hosuh was standing in front of him, not facing him at all, with his arms outstretched. His hair twisted out of its ponytail, silver tendrils dancing in the wind. He was looking at Stephen from the corner of his eye, his blue eyes softening. He smiled, mouthing something.

"I love you"

"Hosuh!" Stephen yelled. He distantly heard Daniel say the same thing. Hosuh smiled, turning back to the enemy. "Hosuh!!!"

Long claws ripped through the air as Stephen reached out, his hand desperately looking for something to pull Hosuh away.

As usual, he was too late.

Hosuh stayed suspended in the air like a puppet, his arms wide like wings. Blood spurted from his chest.

Then slowly, but maybe quickly, Hosuh crumpled, his strings cut, collapsing onto the grass.