Can You Survive On A Desert Island? (2)

Smoke and ash was beginning to cloud the air, and Stephen dropped to his knees. He coughed, trembling.

"Anyone?" The possibility if anyone surviving this disaster was dwindling fast. It was chaos all around him, yet he still rose to his feet again and stumbled closer to the wreckage.

Stephen had been lucky, only getting tossed out of the plane close to the ocean, far away from the others. Unlike Hosuh, who was thrown off at a much higher height – to high to be fine after.

He closed his eyes as Hosuh's stricken face flashed in his mind, and kept walking. It was the only thing he could do. He was surprised to find that he was almost unhurt, only a few scratches that could be pushed aside and a burn on his torso.

"Anyone here?" Stephen shouted, ending in a cough. His ears strained for an answer. "Help!"

There. Something closer to the ocean had made a noise, and Stephen immediately ran over to the general direction. His eyes scanned desperately for any life, and he almost screamed in joy at the familiar blonde hair.

"Jay!" Stephen charged into the water, wincing as the salt crept into his wounds. Jay said something he couldn't catch.

His friend was hanging onto a piece of burnt plastic, but was slipping as it rocked unsteadily. His face was twisted with pain, eyes wide as he slowly sank deeper. Stephen swam towards him quickly, smiling as the familiar face. His smile changed when he noticed how much Jay was struggling, only kicking one leg weakly.

"I got you, hang on!" Stephen swam to the plastic and began to push it closer to the shore. He wasn't experienced enough at swimming to carry Jay back himself, but the idea still worked, only slower. At first Jay began to help, but he soon settled on holding onto the plastic as hard as he could.

When sand grazed Stephen's shoes, he let Jay rest on his shoulder as they stumbled to shore, panting. Once they were fully out of the water they both collapsed on the wet sands.

"Thanks." Jay gasped. "I couldn't swim...my ankle..." He coughed. Stephen looked down at Jay's ankle, grimacing at its odd angle.

"That looks like it hurt." Stephen muttered. He sat up, still scanning the area for anyone else. With a sinking feeling, he couldn't spot Dan or Hosuh anywhere.

"No one else is with you?" Jay asked quietly, copying Stephen's movement. Stephen shook his head, looking at the darkening sky.

Jay ran a hand through his hair, sighing shakily. The sight of the plane wreckage only lowered their moral. It was still on fire in some areas, the dying flames dancing in the breeze.

"Come on." Jay unsteadily got up, cursing in pain. Stephen was immediately at his side, letting him lean on his shoulder.

"What are you doing?" He asked. Jay gestured to the fire that was shrinking quickly.

"Fire. We're going to need that." Stephen nodded, pushing his worries from his mind for a minute as he searched for wood. Thankfully, he saw a group of trees close by. Together, the two friends stumbled over to them. Stephen snapped some sticks off the top whilst Jay gathered some leaves.

Both didn't want to go near the wreckage, but they had to.

It was worse than they thought.

Some bodies were still flung across the metal, charred and bloody. Stephen  heard Jay gag.

"Are any of them...?" Jay asked quietly. Stephen shook his head, not recognising any belongings or features.

"This wasn't where we were sitting." He replied. He quickly lit one of the sticks, carrying it over to the shaded area he and Jay had picked.