Whispering Shadows (2)

There it was again, catching on the wind.

Hosuh looked around sharply. Nothing but trees and grass accompanied them, and he sighed.

"Anything wrong? You've been all jumpy for a while now." Daniel asked, jogging to his side. Hosuh nodded, grinding his teeth. He could feel the gem bumping against its leg, warm under the fabric.

"Lets just go." Hosuh muttered, letting his hair fall into his eye. He felt Daniel's and Stephen's gaze resting on his back as he stormed ahead. He was becoming irritable – he had been for some hours, his mind untameable for short periods of time. He didn't like the sudden character change in himself, but it was out of his control.

Strange, dark images danced at the corner of his eyes, whispers grazing against his ears.

As if on queue, the murmurings were back, making him turn quickly, eyes wide.

A sudden urge came over him, and he followed it immediately. His hand moved fast, plunging into his bag and searching for the strange stone. The smooth edge rubbed against his skin, warm against his cold fingers. He sighed in relief before shaking his head. He pulled his hand out in disgust.

This stone was bad, evil. He wanted it away from him.

But he didn't push it away. He found, strangely, that he didn't want it away. He let out a low growl, angry at his flipping emotions.

"Hosuh, something's bothering you, I can tell." Stephen's voice jolted him from his thoughts. "We don't mind –"

"I said I wanted to go!" Hosuh snapped, eyes flashing as he turned to face Stephen. Just as quickly, he blinked, stepping back at the sight of Stephen's shocked face. He put a hand to his head, feeling a headache form. "I'm sorry...I don't know why I –" he stammered.

"It's fine." Daniel cut in, placing a hand on his shoulder. His worried eyes cast over Hosuh, who was still visibly tense. "It's been a long day. We should find a spot to just hang out for the rest of today. It's fine, Hosuh - I'm tired too, and I don't blame you for snapping like that." Daniel smiled at him. Hosuh returned it briefly, nodding.

"What about that clearing?" Stephen pointed through the trees surrounding them. Daniel nodded eagerly.

Sighing, Hosuh let his two friends walk ahead of him. They began to talk lowly, occasionally looking back at him. Hosuh growled, clenching his fists to keep his new temper in check. Anxiety bubbled in his chest, mind toying with what they could be talking about.

"The stone..." Hosuh mumbled almost inaudibly. His hand snaked into his bag, feeling the smooth gem once again.

What if they were talking about the stone?

He saw in his head the mental image of Daniel and Stephen stealing it from him, and it only made him want to hold the stone close to his chest and feel its heartbeat flicker against his skin.

They couldn't take the stone. It was his.

He clutched it tighter. He would have to fight them both, just to assure himself...once they were dead then they couldn't ever –

"No!" Hosuh cried out, racking a hand through his messy hair.

What was happening to him?

The stone was dropped quickly, his hand pulling out of his bag as if it were lightning.

"What's wrong?" He was kneeling on the ground, and Stephen was close to his face, cupping his cheek. Hosuh struggles in his grip, stumbling.

"Whoa! Calm down!" Dan took hold of his arms, stopping him from running back to that cave and leaving the stone in there forever.