12: Lost in His Touch

He assisted me in the black SUV as I felt his hand still on my back keeping me in place. I wanted to hop out of this car ad run as far as I could, that kiss was something of fire and lust. The kiss was stemmed from the hate that lingered throughout the time I've known him. Our banter was the one thing that caused this moment of confusion, it created these moments where I felt my pride being set aside and my confidence shined through, which necessarily wasn't the best. Our hatred was still there, but maybe Avery was right the tension was too much to handle.

He climbed on the other side and all I felt was awkward, there was no talking, and just me giving him the weirdest looks.

I wondered what he thought of our kiss, was I a good kisser? Should I have used more lip, should I have opened my mouth? They should make a book about this.

I put our kiss on a pause as I decided to be confident, and show him that he doesn't defy me.

"Can you get me up to speed about our meeting", I adjusted my hair as I scooted closer to him so that we were sitting next to each other. Please tell me this would have not made you uncomfortable. He looked back at me for a second as he set aside his newspaper and pulled out his mac. He pulled up some spreadsheets as he went over the investments, my role in the company, and basically what I needed to do and what I could do.

"You understand this, right", he said after he had asked me to read in the car. In the frickin car. My vision was blurry and I had felt just like our road trips when I tried to be a smartass and read a book in the car.

"No clue, how do you even read in the car", I had asked hoping he would open up to me, instead of kissing me of pure lust, but now with feelings. How stupid am I?

"You get carsick?", he asked knowing the obvious answer, but I played along knowing the rules of small talk evolving into deep, thoughtful conversations. I was just waiting at the edge of my seat, waiting for whatever came next.

"Yeah, you don't", this time he laughed shining that billion-dollar smile. Bright, Fluorescent, Light shining at me and I felt like a princess. His laugh sounded sweet, genuine but it sounded like someone who hadn't laughed in a while, who needed that.

"When I was small my dad made me practice, saying it would prepare me for chaos, whenever I needed to jog myself up to pace on a new assignment, but the first time I threw up all over his car and he still made me practice in Avery's mini Barbie car", he said as I started laughing and couldn't stop. We were both cracking ourselves up with things we had never known, things we had never ventured or cared to know about one another. The other side of him was charming, funny and dare I say really really like able.

An hour went by as my hangover finally started crawling in. Nolan could see as he shut up and let me sleep. This confusing yet forward move in our relationship wanted me to run away, to hide from his attention. I enjoyed it but it would never be able to be honest with him, I would never be able to have that with him.

"Natalie", Nolan knocked on my shoulder waking me up as we pulled into the company's garage. I was leaning against his shoulder and instead of him pushing me away, he embraced it by pulling me closer but lightly shaking me to let me know we were here. He smelled of cologne, just like his pillow.

He opened the door as he stuck his hand out for me to grab, it was all for show, right? I grabbed his smooth hand and stepped out of the vehicle as we were escorted into the building. This building tall and elegant, was new to me, something I had never seen before. He opened the door for me as we stepped in and the whole audience in the lobby turned towards us. Eyes were on us as we walked in hand in hand, our bodies were close but not touching it was just enough for me to smell my favorite scent.