For King and Country

August 6, 1916
John POV

The bullets fly around me as I take cover in a crater. Two other soldiers are with me.

S1: The Fritz have got us bloody pinned!
S2: They destroyed the tank that was supposed to bust through their lines! How do we get through all that barbed wire?!

Suddenly, Grant, my American friend, stumbled into the crater with us.

Me: Grant!
Grant: John!

He looks upward at something. I follow his gaze to the Zeppelin that's shooting at the end the rest of the invasion force.

Grant: That balloon is tearing us to shreds!
S1: How do we destroy it?!

Then there was the roar of an engine. But it wasn't a truck or a tank. We look to the sky behind us and see five planes soar above us and toward the zeppelin.

Grant: GIVE 'EM HELL!!!
S1: That's our fly-boys up there!
Me: The Fritz probably have anti-air guns to shoot them down! So let's push them back and give our boys up there some assistance!
S2: Bloody right!

We pull ourselves out of the crater. Just as we do, the nearest CO blows his whistle. That's when my fellow Englishman erupt into a war cry that must've rattled the whole western front. I get caught up in it as well.

Me: FOR KING AND COUNTRY!!!

We charge at the German lines. Before we can get there, I see flashes of orange light from the German lines. Their accompanied by a familiar boom. I clutch my lucky charm, a small red crystal, and hope I can survive another day in hell. Then someone announces it to everyone else.

Soldier: ARTILLERY!!!

Explosions erupt all around me. Everyone is shouting various orders and concerns.

Soldier: TAKE COVER!
Soldier: MOVE, MOVE!
Soldier: WHERE'S JACOB?!

As I'm running, Two explosion erupts from the sky, one louder than the other. One is one of our planes. Smoke is coming from its tail. It soars into the ground not to far from me. The second one is the zeppelin. It bursts into flames and crashes into the German territory behind their trenches.
Then another explosion appears beside me. It knocks me into a crater. As my vision blacks, I hear Grant's muffled voice.

Grant: JOOOHHHNNN!!!