Back

John POV

All the explosions around me cause my ears to ring and my vision to go black. When my vision returned, I thought I had died and gone to hell.

Because I wasn't on Remnant anymore.

I was back. I was back on the Western Front.

I can't be here! This isn't real! I can't be here! I can't be back! I don't want to be back!!!

I look up and see my allies die around me, as they did two years ago. I see the German machine guns mowing them down like they always did. I see all hell break loose as my allies and the Germans clash in No Mans Land.

A German charges at me. If I'm back, then that mean I need to survive. Not live, survive. I shoot the charging German in the head. He falls to the ground dead. Another victim of this two year long slaughter. And it'll be another two years before it's over, as my team had told me.

German: VERDAMNT MENSCH!!!

I  turn and see another German charging at me. I take out my side arm and shoot him three times in the chest. Once he falls to the ground dead, another tackles me to the ground. I manage to take out my knife and stab him in the neck. I get his body off of me. A fourth comes at me, but I knock him on the ground using my helmet, which had fallen off of my head when I was tackled.

I take the helmet and bash in the Jerry's face with it.

This is the very thing I always loathed whenever I thought about coming back to earth. I had hoped the war would be over when I got back. But it doesn't matter, now. I'm here.

I need to find a place to hide until the charge is over. I spot a concrete pill box that's still intact. It'll do for now. I run to the pill box, and when I reach it, I curl up into a ball in the corner and cry...

I want to go back to Remnant...

But unbeknownst to me at that time, I still was.