Ports to the Somme

John POV

While I understand that we're not on earth anymore, that doesn't mean that we can't maintain military discipline. That being said, I raise the trumpet to my mouth and play Reveille. Alex and Arthur, get up and, surprisingly, agree with me. Richard isn't happy about it, but won't stop me either.

Me: Right, with that out of the way, let's get dressed and head to-
Dick: Shouldn't we organize our quarters first, sir?
Me: I'll do you lads a favor; you don't have to adress me as "sir". Just call me by my name. Also, what the bloody hell are you talking about?

I look around and notice that the space between the beds and various other furniture isn't enough for our normal morning routines. We decide to make space.

How? By making makeshift bunk beds. We place books on the bed corners and place the other beds on top. So now our room has two bunk beds. We sit down and open our schedule book.

Me: Alright. So, at 9:00 we have-
Dick: Wa-wait?! Did you just say 0900?!

Oh-what? Oh, yeah, future speak.

Dick: It's 0855!

He grabs a piece of toast, puts it in his mouth, and runs out the door, with us following right behind him. When we get to the courtyard,  bump into teams RWBY and JNPR. We all get to Professor Port's class. We talked to the Professors yesterday, per orders from Ozpin. Thankfully, they already know about our predicament. He begins his speech.

Port: Monsters, demons, prowlers of the night. Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names. But I merely refer to them as prey. Haha!
Dick: Here here!

The rest of the room is silent, save for a single cough.

Port: And you shall, too, among graduating from this prestigious academy! Now, as I was saying. Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms-

Why are they referred to as "kingdoms" when they all operate as a democracy? I guess it was an old title from before the war Jaune mentioned broke out, and it just sort of stuck.

Port: -are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world. Our world is absolutely teething with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces. That's where we come in. Huntsmen! Huntresses.

He clicks his tongue, which causes Yang to feel uncomfortable. I get that it was a joke, but even then, I would feel uncomfortable if an old man did that.

Port: Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves. From what you ask? Why, the very world!
Random student: Ey-yup!
Dick: Testify!

There's always one two students.

Port: That is what you are training to become. But first, a story. A tale of a young, handsome man. Me! When I was a boy-

I figured that he was a narcissist given that he has a bust of himself and has his weapon mounted on the wall above the white chalkboard. I stop paying attention to him, due to the fact that Ruby drew something funny. I'm sitting behind her, but I can tell that it's a funny drawing because she's holding up a paper and Yang and Blake are laughing. Weiss, however, seems a little irritated.

Professor Port clears his throat to regain their attention.

Port: Despite smelling of cabbages, my grandfather-

I kind of fell asleep in the middle of that sentence. Thankfully, when I woke up, he was still in lecture mode.

Port: In the end, the Beowulf was no match for my sheer tenacity, and I returned to my village with the beast in captivity, and my head held high! Celebrated as a hero!